Question on upgrading from 55 gallon to 75 gallon tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hybridd23

AC Members
Oct 18, 2007
Framingham, MA
Well a question that came up when I was thinking about upgrading is would there be anyway to instantly or quickly cycle a tank?

This is because I will only have a 10 gallon tank to keep the fish in while I am transferring everything from my 55 gallon to 75 gallon tank. I didn't want to keep them in the 10 gallon tank for that long becase I have a lot of fish = (. I am setting up the new fish tank in the same place so I have to take the 55 gallon down then put the 75 gallon up.

I am using the same filter (Eheim 2028) for the 55 gallon for the 75 gallon and I heard it helps cycle the tank faster because the bacteria colony is already established. Is this true? I am also using the same Eco-Complete substrate for the tanks.

Also how much would you think a Emperor 400 and a 55 gallon glass tank that is only 1 year old in great condition go for?

Squeakfish

Fight the current!
Jan 9, 2008
SoCal
Well a question that came up when I was thinking about upgrading is would there be anyway to instantly or quickly cycle a tank?

This is because I will only have a 10 gallon tank to keep the fish in while I am transferring everything from my 55 gallon to 75 gallon tank. I didn't want to keep them in the 10 gallon tank for that long becase I have a lot of fish = (. I am setting up the new fish tank in the same place so I have to take the 55 gallon down then put the 75 gallon up.

I am using the same filter (Eheim 2028) for the 55 gallon for the 75 gallon and I heard it helps cycle the tank faster because the bacteria colony is already established. Is this true? I am also using the same Eco-Complete substrate for the tanks.

Also how much would you think a Emperor 400 and a 55 gallon glass tank that is only 1 year old in great condition go for?
Yes, the established filter media is already there, but you can't let it stay out of the water and away from the fish for too long. Adding some of the substrate/plants/decor also helps cycle the tank quickly.
What type of fish? Regardless, there are probably some you won't be able to fit in a 10. You may need to go for a large multi-gallon bucket.
I personally think you should dedicate a day to moving everything around.

hybridd23

AC Members
Oct 18, 2007
Framingham, MA
Yea, I am going to probably spend a whole day moving everything around. I am also moving the three pieces of driftwood and all of the plants into the new tank too. I think I do have some large plastic storage boxes I can use to put the fish in. Thanks for the suggestions!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What is happening to the 55? Keeping it? Why not just leave them in the 55, then set up the 75?

b.greene

AC Members
Jan 30, 2008
Northern Michigan
When I moved up from a 10g to a 55g, I added the 10g filter alongside the new one (I also put the old filter cartridge in the new filter). I moved all the plants/decorations into the new tank. I wanted to change the color of the gravel substrate, so I put in the new gravel and then took handfuls of the old gravel and put it in the foot of pantyhose (new) and knotted the tops. I left the pantyhose with gravel on the bottom of the tank for about 6-8 weeks after adding the fish. (I hid them in the back behind some caves) I added the fish immediately and tested the water relentlessly. I never even saw a mini cycle. I took my time adding additional stock, every couple weeks.
Good luck - I wish I had a 75g!!!

Last edited:

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
It seems an aquarium loses half it's value as soon as you bring it home and put water in. You can offer if for that price on Craig's list and might get lucky and get full amount.

chenya

AC Members
Apr 29, 2006
Central IL
I did the same thing back in 1999. I upgraded from a 55 to a 125. I used all of the gravel (plus added new) and kept my emperor 400 filter. I also saved half of the water.

I kept my fish in several buckets with a airstone attached just in case. They were in these all day and had no problems. I let the new tank filter for a couple of hours, which allowed the water to clear up and also warm up. I had no problems at all. It is alot of work though. Be sure to have all of the supplies you will need ahead of time.

derekp

MTS Awareness Member
Nov 11, 2007
When I upgraded from my 29 gallon to a 46 gallon, I first emptied most of the 29 gallon water into buckets. I put all the fish in a bucket, then I moved the 29 gallon and set up the 46 gallon in the same spot. I put all the water from the 29 gallon and siphoned what stuff I could out of the rocks of the 29 into the 46. The fish I then took my old filter media and placed into the filter of the new tank (with the new filter pad). I added what water I needed to out of the faucet, acclimated the fish, and was done. I did the same thing when I combined my 46 gallon and 55 gallon into a 125 gallon.

It is time consuming but well worth it. Good luck with your 75 gallon.

ina1032

AC Members
Jun 12, 2008
That's so weird that you posted this thread because I was doing the EXACT same thing last night. I filled a 10R and a 10 hex with water from my established 55g, transferred the 10 or guppies to the hex, then the rest of the fish to the 10R, both with filters running. I managed to get the 75g filled 1/4 of the way with the rest of the established 55g water. After I get the substrate (I'm not using the gravel I had in the 55g, I think I'm gonna use play sand) in the 75g and settled, I'll transfer the fish over, then siphon the water from both the 10's into the 75g. By then I'm hoping to have at least 1/2 the tank full of established water, and just fill the rest of the tank with RO water. And I plan on using my old filter as well. It's probably due for a change, but I think I'll wait til everything's stable.

Sorry to piggy back off your original message, but I had a few ?'s...
What do you all think of the play sand idea? It's cheap ($5 @ Lowe's). Will it be soft enough? Do you think it'll cloud my water up very easy? Will it be good for plants if I use a nutrient supplement?

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store