Siamese Flying Fox?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DGalt

AC Members
Jun 1, 2008
Connecticut
Couple questions about these guys. I've read different things about them.

Are they aggressive?
Do they want to be in pairs / a school or alone (read somewhere that as adults they want to be alone...)?
Would they nip at a betta?
Are their algae eating abilities comparable to SAEs?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Well first of all, saying "siamese flying fox" is kind of like saying "pleco loach". There are siamese algae eaters, and flying fox algae eaters, two different species.

I have a group of four SAEs in my 150 with cherry barbs, glass cats and gouramis, and they definitely shoal together, but leave everyone alone from what I can tell.

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
They are slightly aggressive. They do not get along well if kept in pairs or groups. These guys are usually single. They might may or may not nip the betta;I don't think so. Flying fox's has less abilities. True siamese algae eaters are better imo. I have three sae's and they great

DGalt

AC Members
Jun 1, 2008
Connecticut
hrm...ok. I'll have to check the other LFSs near me (the one I frequent seems to only carry flying foxes, which is why I asked about them :))

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
I had 3 flying foxes at one time, mistaked them for SAE before I knew the difference. They are very aggressive with each other and much be kept in singles, but they will not harm another fish. They do not eat hair algae like SAE are known to do, and barely touch algae altogether if fed well.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
For everything you wanted to know about algae eating carp. which includes: Siamese Algae Eater, Crossocheilus siamensis; "False siamensis", Epalzeorhynchus sp. or Garra taeniata; Flying Fox, Epalzeorhynchus kalopterus: Chinese Algae Eater, Gyrinocheilus aymonieri and Crossocheilus oblongus --> http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Algae-Eaters/

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
Yup. Most likely you'll want the SAE, and not the Flying Fox .
My SAE's school together, and dont bother anyone.

sometimes I'll catch them hanging out with the black neon tetras... they have similar colorings maybe they think they are related?!?

SAE's only have a black stripe, and no other different colors...

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
My lfs calls SAEs Siamese FF so people don't confuse them with CAE. You need to learn what the true SAE looks like to be sure what you're getting. Kept singly or in 3+ groups works much better than 2 & they grow fast to 4-5 inches. True FF are much prettier & aggressive.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
SAE's seem to do well in groups and this is best done in a large tank as each grows to 5-6 inches max. You'll want SAE's although flying foxes aren't that bad either. They squabble a lot of times but no serious damage usually occurs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store