Yellow tang skin irritation questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
I got my new yellow tang one week ago and he came straight in one of those shipping bags so I didn't get to see him before I bought him...anyways he has some of what look like irritations on him and I was wondering if they will naturally go away or what they are...do they need to be treated or what.

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
I sent the pictures to my LFS and they told me to do a freshwater dip...what do you guys think?

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Should I treat my tank with maracyn two marine? Helloooooo? Anybody out there?

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
mcsassy: not sure what your tank setup, but I would never treat with maracyn two in the tank. Only in a hospital/QT setup. A freshwater dip is a very basic, and usually effective first step. But not knowing what you are treating for is in my opinion a bit of a problem. I am unable to diagnose what your Tang suffers from but as a first step while you are pinpointing the ailment of your fish a freshwater dip is appropriate.

Here is a link http://www.reefland.com/forum/marin...tment/18887-freshwater-dip-marine-fishes.html to performing a freshwater dip on marine fish. Lee is a wealth of knowledge. If the Tang has parasites/flukes, etc. this will help.

Word of caution. Match the PH to your tank and use Methylene blue. I keep a separate net from one I use in the DT and DO NOT mix them.

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Almond, thanks. How long should I give it for it to naturally go away? He eats just fine and doesn't seem bothered by it...it has gotten a tad better on it's own...would it be a bad choice to let it ride out the next couple weeks as to not stress and myself him by trying to net him out of the display?

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
I would continue to observe him to ensure that the condition does not worsen. I would use the garlic supplemented food such as Formula Two Marine Pellets - when I had my Atlantic Tang she went crazy for them. The garlic in it helps alot.

I take it that you are unable to net him and give the freshwater dip? If it continues to get better I would let it ride for a day or so with constant monitoring.

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
He eats a lot of red macro algae which is soaked in garlic always...that's what helped my hippo tang battle of ich so hopefully whatever he has will also go away. Thanks almond.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store