discus question for 80gJoe or anybody

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

andruboz

Senile Member
Jan 6, 2003
texas
home.satx.rr.com
a lfs has 2 wild caught discus ones maybe 5" and the other a little smaller. the lfs guy says he carrys them when he can get them because the wild caught arent as delicate as farm bred discus when it comes to our relatively hard local water.

is he right?

what are advantages / disadvantages with wild caught discus?

they are pretty nice fish. kind of a green sunfish looking pattern to them.

stoopid

AC Members
May 15, 2003
Well, my friend's experience is that the wild were a little too agressive toward the non-wild discuss in the tank.

The wild one ended up cornering the other discuss and had to be returned, though it wasn't outright biting/harming them.

andruboz

Senile Member
Jan 6, 2003
texas
home.satx.rr.com
so if they are more aggressive, does that mean they could hang with mild mannered cichlids like nicaraguenses, severum, and uaru?

i am guessing aggression could be more about the personality of the fish and how badly abused it was in transit.

and a note i meant to include in the first post- he's asking $45 for them.

stoopid

AC Members
May 15, 2003
$45'S Reasonable

My friend's got a young Uaru in his tank now with a small 'strawberry' discus and 2 larger, mature discus. Once the discus is past infancy, it will not be attacked or bullied by the more community cichlids... but in saying that my friend did say that the Uaru and strawberry 'had it out' today and now the Uaru's a notch higher in the food chain... which would have eventually happened anyway as the Uaru will grow to be twice the strawberry's size.

I was surprised at some of the fish my LFS keep with discus (Rams are another option now that I think of it).

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
I don't have any experience with the "wild" Discus.
There are a couple good Discus websites, and some have extreme opinions on these fish!

I could guess and agree they may be slightly more aggressive that "domestic" bred Discus.

Good Luck - they are beautiful fish!! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store