Fliter Clogging

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

1oooop

int x; if {x>1} {std::cout
Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
I just bought a whisper 10i and the filter clogged in 2 days, I have a 10 gal tank with snails and one plant, I have to wash out the filter every day, or it doesn't work, any way I can resolve this?

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
What's clogging in it ? Food ? Substrate ? Plant debris ?

I'd say broadly, turn off filter when feeding, remove plant debris daily, gravel vac regularly...but it sounds like you have a more particular problem...

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
I had a Whisper 60 that kept getting clogged up constantly, I could never figure it out so in the end removed the filter (I still have it for use on a QT tank). The only media I had in there were the standard filter and foam that came with it. The filters never looked all that dirty, and even after cleaning them in a bucket of tank water they still overflowed right away.

If you just bought the filter I would be tempted to take it back and replace for either an Aquaclear or Penguin filter.

mattmartindrift

AC Members
May 16, 2008
HOB right?

I run a whisper 10 in my 10g fry/QT tank.

I run the coarse foam and fluval/seachem ceramic bio media. Toss in a polishing pad if you want that you can just swap out bi-weekly.

1oooop

int x; if {x>1} {std::cout
Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
I think it's bacteria and debris that are clogging it up, I also have alot of snail poo, cause it's a snail tank, anyway, the media is only at the bottom of the filter cartridge, very little media, when I wash it, there's a bunch of slime coming off it.

Draal5

AC Members
Apr 23, 2007
try running it with out the carbon in the bag and see if that helps. You don't need the carbon any way unless there is a problem.

is this the HOB or in the tank model?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store