My wally-world rescue betta

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AshK

Muffin MIX NAO
Jun 24, 2008
California, PA
This is the story of my new betta, Wall-E. A while ago my mother bought me an awesome tank has a house warming present. It's a 6.6 gallon long, shallow-ish, and seems perfect for a male betta to stretch his fins and swim around in. I've been cycling the tank for 1 month or so and recently added more plants.

I went to an LFS and walmart today determined to rescue a betta. The LFS's betta's looked in really great shape and according to the staff had a high selling rate. My only complaint was their containers were SUPER small! The larger ones could barely turn around :mad2: (The Ipond rings a bell here). I talked to an employee and he assured me they do weekly water changes, and remove uneaten food daily. So I moved on to walmart to maybe take home a betta in worse shape.

*warning* not for the squeemish!

The mart had all thirty of their bettas living in filthy, smelly water riddled with un-eaten food. About 4 bettas had severe stages of ich, and 1 betta had ich, but it looked treateable. I chose to take him home. He's exploring his mansion right now and I put a dose of ich treatment in the water about 30 minutes after he was acclimated. Boy is he beautiful! Once he was in the tank he practically went cameleon and changed colors! Now Wall-E's a stunning steal blue, with a purple sheen and a little bit of red on his fins. When he's all better I will take pictures! I wish I could take them all home!:wall:

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Congrats on the pickup and I commend you for caring!

Food for thought though... The big stores wouldn't stock them (and keep them in poor conditions) if they didn't sell them. Next time, please think about patronizing the responsible LFS vs. making a rescue that encourages them to keep stocking.

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
Congrats on the pickup and I commend you for caring!

Food for thought though... The big stores wouldn't stock them (and keep them in poor conditions) if they didn't sell them. Next time, please think about patronizing the responsible LFS vs. making a rescue that encourages them to keep stocking.
i think Wall E would complain with that, but yes, the guy replacing him will get the same tourture

if i had the space, and money, i would get 50 of those 5 gallon water jugs, modify them a bit, hook them up to a grand siphon line/faucet hose, and save as many as i could

AshK

Muffin MIX NAO
Jun 24, 2008
California, PA
Thanks for the advice HookedNewbie! I purchased some female bettas from a great breeder and was going to go that route for a male, until I saw some other threads about betta rescuing. I don't know which is the "right" path to take--get culls from a breeder, LFS or huge chains. I won't buy from chains anymore, that's for sure!

The more business they get, the more they will stock :headshake2:!

Virtuoso2K12

Mar 2, 2008
Southern CA
It doesnt need to be all fancy or big .I'll try and start a new forum board first thing in the morning,if not than we will make a lil lil club,us 3 unless more are wanting to join.:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store