Small tanks- discussion thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
What about guppies? a gruop of males should be good in a 5g and maybe some females if you have another tank to put the fry in. I have'nt personally kept guppies for a few years and back then there were my moms fish.

bert501

AC Members
Jan 7, 2006
Thanks for posting this! :clap:
A lot of good info for those of us who enjoy a smaller tank!

All we've ever had is small tanks with Betta's. Then Christmas came and we received a 20g long--I feel like a complete klutz trying to learn how to "do" a bigger tank! LOL

You are right about the water changes in the smaller tanks. They are essential but since the tanks are so small they are no problem for me to just do a quick rinse while the fishies wait in a cup. If it takes 10 mins total then I am really in slow motion!

I will say that we got a snail with our new betta lady last week in the 1 gallon tank---the first snail we've ever had and it is a BLAST! Talk about a fun little critter; it is all over the tank and the Betta's hideout rock-just everywhere. The Betta gets fed up and dive bombs it and it just lets go and plops to the bottom! I didn't realize they were so active and the Betta is completely entertained by it.

Between it and those crazy cory's in the big tank the TV is losing it's audience! I highly recommend, especially if you have kids, to try the mystery snails. Of course I have exactly 1 week of experience with them and all I know I have learned on this site! But so far it is a great addition to our "fishy family".

We never tried the Killie fish or the Endlers but now that I've read this most excellent advice, we may get another small tank and set it up.....

Did I just say that we would get ANOTHER tank?!!!?!! I'll have to tell my husband they "followed us home"! Sorry this turned into a novel--just an over enthusiastic newbie here!!

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
How about folks posting pics of thier small tanks ??

Here are a few of mine to get things started...these are thumbnails, just click on them for a larger view:

One gallon planted betta tank:

Two gallon planted:

Five gallon "river" tank:

One gallon "fake" betta tank...silk plants and gravel:

The three "cubby" tanks:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Well done Emg!

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
EMG: really like the river tank espescially all the plants.
EMG or anyone else who knows: If Iwere to place a five and a couple smaller tanks in a cubbyhole and use a small space heater or reptile heater(they do exist right)on a thermostat would that keep the tanks at a good temp. or will it just be on all time over heating the tank because it's trying to keep the room warm? If it's the later I think I'll make the cubby hole a insulated (with styrofoam) and partally sealed terarium. my parents seem to have something aggainst having the heat on (for the house, because of the power usage) so some form of heat will be needed. I know I will be getting a 2.5g in a few days and already have the 5g. I had 10g's without heaters wich was fine, in the summer. I checked the temps and imeadiatly added heaters I had sitting around.

Gena575

AC Members
Feb 7, 2006
dorkfish said:
EMG: really like the river tank espescially all the plants.
EMG or anyone else who knows: If Iwere to place a five and a couple smaller tanks in a cubbyhole and use a small space heater or reptile heater(they do exist right)on a thermostat would that keep the tanks at a good temp. or will it just be on all time over heating the tank because it's trying to keep the room warm?.
I'm just thinking out loud here. Please if someone thinks this is dangerous or flat out won't work, say so!

What about something like this http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=9771&N=2006+22787 under the tanks? It would take some experimenting as to placement and such...maybe even timer use to keep from overheating, but it might just work?? I think I would try it with empty (edit: as in no fish, just water) tanks first LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Gena, the only problem with something like that mat is that you can't regulate it. As far as finding a way to heat your 2 1/2 and 5....the 5 shouldn't be a problem to heat. I had a 25watt heater in one of my 5s and it worked fine. I have since replaced that with a walmart jr. heater because I needed the 25 for another tank. That too works well. The jr heater should also work for your 2 1/2. You can't regulate those heaters, but I have found them to do well in the 2 and 5 size tanks. If you have the smaller tanks in the cubby right next to the 5.....with only the front exposed, the heat from the 5 may be enough to keep the smaller tanks warm enough. You could try it out and see...put a thermometer in each tank and see what you get.

DF...being a parent myself.....with bills and all... I can totally understand your parents desire to keep the energy usage down....lol....don't be too hard on them DF, they're saving up for your college education....LOL ! A heater like you were talking about for your cubby area probably would just be on all the time because the front would be open to the room temp.

I'd say the best solution for that area would be lighting. You could try using a towel or something over the open front at night when you turn the lights out.....better yet....lol.....a small shade type item attached under the shelf, that you can just pull down to close the opening....lol.....what a brilliant idea..... :rolleyes:

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Gena575 said:
I'm just thinking out loud here. Please if someone thinks this is dangerous or flat out won't work, say so!

What about something like this http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=9771&N=2006+22787 under the tanks? It would take some experimenting as to placement and such...maybe even timer use to keep from overheating, but it might just work?? I think I would try it with empty (edit: as in no fish, just water) tanks first LOL!
IMO those are dangerous to use with tanks. I've used those, as well as several other brands and Flex Watt heat tape, for my ball pythons and while you *can* buy a thermostat to control them, they are not water proof or water resistant.

They are also not supposed to be used with acrylic or plastic *at all*. They will melt plastic or acrylic easily and most small tanks are not made of glass.

Some of them get very hot -- many snakes need heat in the 100-110* range -- and I wouldn't trust a tank sitting on them, period.

The 25w heaters Emg is referring to are great for small tanks 2.5g and larger. I'd use one of those before I put a plastic tank on a reptile heater. A heater is also a LOT cheaper than buying a reptile mat. The smallest run around the same price as a heater and the larger ones are 2-3 x more. A thermostat will run around 25-30$.

IME and IMO

Roan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store