A day in the life of your LFS- discussion thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
Awesome read, enlightening. Even though I have a full-time job, sometimes I'm tempted to apply at a LFS and work for fish or equipment, hehe.

DominionDesign

Just chillin', watching the fish.
Aug 5, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
As a new member, I just read this article and its replies. As a former LFS owner for 3 years I can empathize with the plight. I just wanted to add a couple of things about the follow up posts. Several people said they felt guilty about asking questions and then not buying anything. As a store owner, speaking for myself and I think most other LFS owners out there, we got into the business because we love it and want to share it with as many people as possible. My favorite part of ownership was the opportunity to talk to so many people and share what I knew with them. The problem came when, as mentioned in the article, people would come in and pick your brain for hours and then order their new filter, etc, online to save a few bucks. This totaly discounts the time and expertise of your LFS owner/ employees. I am not against online sellers and I think they have their place but I will say when you find a good LFS, the relatively few extra dollars you will spend buying there is a bargain compared to what you will receive in intangibles. Basicaly don't be afraid to ask questions but please support your good LFS or they wont be around to help. As you may understand from the article LFS ownership is not a get rich quick scheme, it is usually not a get rich at all business model but a labor of love. These guys put in long hours, alot of money and and much mental and emotional energy to serve us, the least we can do is support them.

faun

AC Members
Feb 25, 2008
Norwich, England
I think this is a great thread very enlightening. I was in my LFS at the weekend and someone came in asked loads of questions about a complete tank set up, i must point out it was very busy, anyway he stood there for ages talking while everyone else was waiting to be served some people even left then after asking all the questions he asked how much it was so the owner told him and he said im not paying that i can get it loads cheaper on line and left. This really annoyed me as he could see there was a huge queue and people were leaving he knew he wasn't going to buy from the shop he just wanted his questions answered as the site he was ordering off didn't have all the info he needed it just seemed really selfish as the LFS probably lost at least 5 customers who would have bought things.

nikitanain

AC Members
Jul 5, 2006
a very good article... but in my Country, i have hardly seen one or 2 LFS guys give the right advice... most of them agree to what ever the customer says to make sales.... :devil:

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
After working at a LFS for only one day so far I have a lot more appreciation for the workers. There is a lot that needs to be done and then you get confused or angry customers, sick fish, dying equipment...its a handful!

DominionDesign

Just chillin', watching the fish.
Aug 5, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
a very good article... but in my Country, i have hardly seen one or 2 LFS guys give the right advice... most of them agree to what ever the customer says to make sales.... :devil:
In my post I should have emphasized that when you find a GOOD store, they are worth the extra expense. There are many out there who are not trustworthy but they tend to not stick around long.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store