Out with the old, In with the new

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hultman

Curmudgeon at large
Sep 19, 2004
Minnesota
I apologize in advance for the length of this post, but I've been keeping saltwater tanks for about 15 years, and I think it's time for me to adjust to the modern world. I took my big system (six interconnected tanks of various sizes) down a few years ago after continual frustration with brown slime growth and general maintenance. It was a very complicated system. I figured it was time to give up the hobby, but I missed the fish.

So I decided to start up again with a simple, self-contained little fish only 40 gallon hex that I designed to be easy to maintain. I built a custom stand with a 10 gallon wet/dry filter/sump, an Aqua C remora skimmer and an old Eheim mechanical filter for added water circulation. Good multi spectrum lighting and an in-line heater.

After another couple more years of fighting brown slime, I shut this one down as well. But, in the spirit of good old fashioned pig-headed persistance, I'm going to give it one more try. I finally decided that my well water was the source of the bacteria or whatever is promoting the brown slime growth, so this time I'll be using an RO water system. Last chance!!

Anyway, I'd like to keep the little hex, as it fits the living room so well, and I think the wet/dry sump is a good place for the skimmer, but I think I should replace the mechanical filter with just a power head for circulation. I was also having problems keep the temperature in the tank down, so I think getting rid of the Ehiem will help that and I plan on adding a fan to the enclosed area of the sump.

Right now the system is happily circulating a heavy dose of chlorine to kill EVERYTHING that might contain the dreaded brown slime or anything else that might pollute the new system. Once the system has run on pure chlorine for a while, I'm not even going to let my well water near it. I'm going to drain it all and put it out on the deck and let the rain rinse it off. Then I'll start over.

I sort of missed out on the live rock revolution, so this time I'm looking for advice on a new setup and maybe I'll actually listen this time!! I have a ton of really pretty old decorative coral, and I may use a little for decoration, but this time I'm thinking of starting with a large live rock base and maybe even live sand. Let it run that way for a few weeks to stabilize, and then maybe add a few snails, hermits, etc. Then a few fish (percs, a pygmy angel, etc) and that's it. I'm not a reefer. All I want is a few colorful fish and maybe a few cleaners.

Any thoughts or ideas on this plan? I'm listening. REALLY, I am! This is my LAST STAND! I WILL shut up and listen to any and all advice!!:lipssealedsmilie:

Thanks!

Jim

Last edited:

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
The rain might be worse than the well water.
I'd rinse it with RO/DI water.
Do you have your own RO/DI System?

there have been several posts on this site regarding the use of RO water in Marine systems, you'll find many opinions. Why would you take a chance on cleaninng it with a chlorine product, knowing that if you dont get it thoroughly rinsed, it could kill your livestock? (not being a jerk, just curious)

hultman

Curmudgeon at large
Sep 19, 2004
Minnesota
I guess I've always cleaned my aquarium stuff with chlorine. Especially the decorative coral. Made it nice and white again. Chlorine evapoates so quickly I've never had a problem. But remember, I'm a few years out of date. Maybe that's a bad thing now?

I assumed that Rain water would be safe. Naturally distilled, you know. I suppose it could pick up contaminates on the way down, but I live in rural Minnesota, so I doubt it would be a porblem.

And yes, I will get an RO system before I start. I need it for drinking water anyway. My well isn't the best. What is DI water?

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
DI is de-ionized.
The rain in your area most likely didnt develop in your area, the moisture could have accumilated in the clouds over LA and drifted to your area before falling to the ground.
I live outside of Chicago, I dont want the rain to get on me, let alone in my tank.

hultman

Curmudgeon at large
Sep 19, 2004
Minnesota
Yeah, I've done a little looking around at DI water. Never heard of it, but I can do that. Thanks for bringing it up.

You also bring up an interesting question about rain water. Not since the days of the acid rain scare have I even thought about rain water being in question. Perhaps it is something to think about. Maybe Mercury contamination? Anyway, LA is a LONG way away, and the wind doesn't blow from Chicago, so I still think I'm OK with good old fashioned rain water!

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
There are a lot more things to worry about in the air, including various volatile carbon compounds, etc. Just use RO/DI water (be sure it is both--in most cases, just one or the other isn't sufficient) for peace of mind and less doubts.

hultman

Curmudgeon at large
Sep 19, 2004
Minnesota
OK, RO/DI water. Got it.

Now, what's all this Live rock/Live sand stuff? People seem to be setting up tanks relying mostly on this for filtration. I still think wet/dry filters are state-of-the-art! (yeah, I still think bellbottoms are high fashion, too) So, how much live rock and/or sand would anyone recommend to start my little 40 hex?

And is a simple skimmer in the sump enough? Do I want to put bio balls in the wet/dry? or just use it as a sump?

More input please!

Jim

LiveOutLoud

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
Most people reccomend 1 to 2 pounds of rock per gallon. As for sand it's really up to you how deep you go. Also you don't need to buy live sand the rock will eventually seed it.
I think just a skimmer would be fine. I hope this helps.:)

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
^^Well, not even that much is absolutely necessary. IT is best to get the more porous rock and get less of it. I recommend anywhere from .75-1 pound per gallon. A bit less is often better than a lot more, as many people tend to pack their tanks full, which greatly reduces flow (major concern). Besides, it gives your fish room to swim around the tank and not have to weave through rocks. While many think that that is better and/or more natural, most fish swim above the reef, not swim through it all day. Some hiding spots are a must, but just don't pack the tank full.

On the other hand, I second the sand. It is a matter of preference.

Iceeeyyyy

(っ◕‿◕)っ
Jun 19, 2008
rock in water
^^Well, not even that much is absolutely necessary. IT is best to get the more porous rock and get less of it. I recommend anywhere from .75-1 pound per gallon. A bit less is often better than a lot more, as many people tend to pack their tanks full, which greatly reduces flow (major concern). Besides, it gives your fish room to swim around the tank and not have to weave through rocks. While many think that that is better and/or more natural, most fish swim above the reef, not swim through it all day. Some hiding spots are a must, but just don't pack the tank full.

On the other hand, I second the sand. It is a matter of preference.
:werd:
I had 260 lbs of LR in my 180 Reef at one point and it just looked too cramp and full, I recently sold off 120 lbs and am now working on rescaping the tank making more shelves and crevices for the placement of corals. As for the LS you can just get dead sand and seed it with a cup of sand from an more established system and you will be fine (I still like the bare bottom look) once encrusted with coralline it looks fantastic. If your using a Sump you can place some extra pieces of LR in their in place of the bioballs. Skimmers aren't really necessary as long as your keeping up with maintenance, but they will help with keeping your waste levels in good order.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store