Building My LED Light

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

traelman

AC Members
Jun 11, 2008
Hi All................

I'm going to use this as my log for a project that I'm planning, a little backgroud info:

Project- Aquarium Light/Hood (30gl HeX)
Goals- Create a working Light that is both reliable and effective
Factors- $$$ Cost, keep it lowlowlowlow
- Design: I have an electronics backgroud but I've never done this type thing before.
- Equipment: Brand of Led, Driver ( or supply), heat sink
- Specs: Lumens(number at given mA), Color Spectrum , Thermal control

Using these different topics, I'll try to discuss each one using the various info I've gathered already, along with my results.
:idea::idea::idea:

Do Work!!!!!!

traelman

AC Members
Jun 11, 2008
Project- Aquarium Light/Hood (30gl HeX)

Just some info on what I'm really trying to do. I recently bought a 30gl Hex aquarium from a friend. It came with everything I needed to get started. Once it was up and running I felt the need to upgrade. After doing some research, it seemed that the existing light was inadaquate and the search for a replacement began. Using info from various aquarium forums, my plan was to replace my old technology flourescent with something a bit newer. The sticking point of this idea is there are no easy, cheap, hightech replacements for my oddball original

Now what to do!?!?!

On the aquarium forums, the answer is either adapt or DIY, so I decided thats what I would do for this situation. Right now I'm well into the planning stages and have gathered enough info to be extremely dangerous and very costly.

I will try and post some of the planning that I've already done(complete info for this forum).

Do Work!!!

1oooop

int x; if {x>1} {std::cout
Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
kay, one problem tho, IT ONLY WORKS AS A MOON LIGHT WITH A REGULAR LED SET to does practically nothing, BUT make your tank look cool, anyway if you need any help just PM me

also I suggest taking an old computer PSU (power supply) as an LED driver(OLNY FOR WHITE, BLUE, AND GREEN LEDS) use the orange channel(it's all on a link on my first post on the originating thread)

they do a crappy job of plant growth, of course who wants GIGANTIC plants

Last edited:

traelman

AC Members
Jun 11, 2008
I still have to disagree with the idea that LED's cant grow plants 1oooop. Take a look at these comparison photos, one is a PC and the other is LEDs. If you are going to use LEDs you have to be very particular about the spec of them. Check this guys link . He has done quite a few things with LEDs.

litetest1.jpg litetest2.jpg

Last edited:

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
Right - get the right LEDs and you're good.
Search - there are other DIY LED threads out there including links to cheap, right LEDs, programs that provide wiring diagrams & resistor specs for a given set of LEDs (you feed LED specs (mA), power supply spec, # LEDs - it does the rest)... if not here, then at

traelman

AC Members
Jun 11, 2008
Goals

For right now, I'm not to concerned with the physical shape or look of my new tank hood. I do want it to be pleasing to the eye(as mandated by my lovely wife:hearts:), and functional; provide mounting for my light, and a means for preventing desertion of my fish. I have made some basic lay out designs that I think will work.

As far as the lighting portion of the project goes anything better than what I have right now would be great!!! It's not that my current light looks crappy, but I have a single flourescent of 15 W for a 30gl Tank. The math on that's pretty easy .5W/1gl, that just wont do it for most plants, not to mention the fact that my light is about 26 inches from the bottom of my tank. So, for my purposes, I hope to end up with something that is better in quality for; 1.the fishies, 2.The plants that I hope will prosper, 3. The person looking at the tank(namely ME):cheers:.

Something else that should part of my goal for this project is $$$. At first I thought " I dont care how much it costs I'm still going to Do it", but now that I've been doing my research, I've backed off that attitude a little. Since this is my first attempt at this, maybe I shouldn't go "Hog Wild" and blow $200 that I don't really have to blow, so I am going to try and limit myself as much as possible. As of right now, the LEDs that a may use are a total $35, that's for 6 white LEDs (3W/per= 18W), one Blue, and one Red. So using that as a basic start I'm going to try and keep my budget in the $75 range (cheaper is better sometimes!?!?)

That's enough for now, it's Saturday and I've got a Honey Do that awaits.
Have a great weekend PeepS.
:headbang2::headbang2::headbang2:

layout.jpg layout2.jpg

Last edited:

1oooop

Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
okay, one problem IT NEEDS TO BE WATER PROOF or at least resistant
I suggest putting the supply on the ground and just cross the power on wire with the ground permanently

maybe have a timer for it

1oooop

Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
so, it seems you have a hood for it, is the hood plastic or metal? because if it's plastic you can drill holes on it metal, same thing but easier to buy a piece of plastic

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store