Best Way to Feed Dragon Goby

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mlefessler

AC Members
Mar 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Okay, I've been feeding my Dragon Goby a good variety of foods (bloodworms, krill, etc. etc.). So far, I've been having to spot feed him since my puffers are hungry little piggies and get all the food before he does. By spot feeding, I mean sucking up the food with a little tube and sticking my entire arm to drop food where he's sitting. Do any other Dragon Goby keepers have any suggestions on a better way to feed? Possibly without sticking my entire arm in the tank?

Tiger7

Registered Member
Jul 29, 2008
i just got a dragon golby today at walmart, he stays in a cave boat thing and i am wondering if it will eat. I got some shrimp and algae pellets i heard that they eat those. I have another question can i give them earth worms.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, I had mine with my mudskipper and I had to put him in a QT tank because he was wasting away. He's nice and fat now, but you're right, they do not do well in tanks where they have to compete for food. I would try feeding a little while after lights out - stick a long tube or pipe into the tank and dump the food down so it floats down to the bottom near the VG without the other fish eating it at the same time. I'm waiting to put mine back in the 75 until I can move the puffer out.

kristylove4

AC Members
Jul 25, 2008
colorado
the only luck we had was defrosting some blood worms in a small bowl then pouring them right over him. most of the time once he started to smell it he would start 'filtering' the water and get quite a bit. at the time we had three GSP with him so we had to feed quite a deal to get enough down to him (the GSP didnt seem to mind haha) a tube might work better though. if you can manage it (and on rare ocasions we did) get a large chunk of the blood worm cube close to his face and he will eat the whole darn thing. he never ate much else though, but he did get FAT.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Although I'd never keep a slow-moving sedentary fish like a DG with GSPs, I do have one with my F8s & he seems to get plenty of food. I feed live blackworms in a cone feeder & plenty escape to the substrate. As soon as the worms go in, he's sitting below the cone waiting. I also break up algae wafers & put them in there for him, after lights out.

glueaccident

Registered Member
Oct 9, 2009
I know this is probably a lot of days late and a few dollars short, but while looking for alternative foods for my goby i came across this and wanted to share how i feed. when i initially got my goby i only had a few small tetras in the tank so there was no real competition for food, however th population has changed and now without my interveneing the little (big) goby would have no chance of survival. I had an extra tube from a gravel syphon which works wonders!

stick it in upside down so the smallest part is facing down and the largest at the top, pop in the bloodworms and let them defrost a bit. once they start to break apart (with some shaking to coax them along) all i have to do is pull the tube out of the water and the vacuum shoots them right down to Mr. Bojangles and he has plenty of chances to eat without the others getting at it first. Works every time.

Lycanthropic

AC Members
Jun 29, 2009
Alberta
I feed my dragons with a turkey baster. I feed them emerald entree , a sw cube, some snail jello, bloodworms, and ocassionally brine shrimp if hes been a good boy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store