Fluke Medicine Question (Urgent!)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Agent_Scully

AC Oscar Club Member #1
Jul 9, 2008
Georgia
My goldfish died early this morning of internal flukes and I am procedding to treat the 10 gallon tank with praziquantel tablets. I fear that my other goldfish may also have been exposed. Neither of the fish show ANY signs of flukes but have both been exposed more or less. Should I go ahead and treat? More importantly, should I treat the one in the seperate tank that may not have been entirely exposed or is it simply uneeded stress?

Please reply ASAP! I want to catch it before its too late!

~Agent Scully

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Fluke infestation symptoms can be as benign as excess bottom sitting, so it's often hard to tell if your fish are even infected. I'd go ahead and treat anyway, as praziquantel based treatments are supposedly relatively mild. I've used prazipro before, and did not experience anything that would suggest my biofiltration was unduly affected.

Agent_Scully

AC Oscar Club Member #1
Jul 9, 2008
Georgia
Thanks so much! This is my first time with flukes. I did a gill swab of the tank mate of the deseased fish and I did see something that looked similar to a fluke or flatworm of some sort so the medicine should relieve any parasitic issues.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Parasite clear is another medicine that should work and is much easier to get your hands on. It's also available in smaller quantities so you don't end up with a giant bottle of medicine you only used once.

Agent_Scully

AC Oscar Club Member #1
Jul 9, 2008
Georgia
I'm using tablets, not the pure kind. LOL, yeah I definetly know how hard it is to find pure praziquantel! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store