nooooo yellow goldie died

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

meandthetanks

AC Members
Apr 15, 2008
well,i came down this morning to find my yellow fancy goldie had his big red zit back again on his head,and by the end of the day he was dead :tombstone: i guessed he was going down hill as his zit was kinda noticeable yesterday evening,and he hasnt eaten for a day. its a sad loss but he was quite old and i think judging by his body shape he was quite badly stunted too.

my large orange fancy has started acting oddly too though,she has started to hang out at the water surface,and when she does venture to the bottom of the tank she seems to have problems staying upright, its like her tail and butt keep going and she ends up upside down,for a brief second until she manages to swim back to normal. is this something to worry about? she is still eating well and looks healthy,i feed them on sinking gancy goldfish mini-pellets,and they also get cooked shelled peas once or twice a month.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Hmmm.... Can we have specs like tank size and water parameters? Water change schedule? Some basic info goes a long way towards figuring out what the issue is.

meandthetanks

AC Members
Apr 15, 2008
sorry,i already had a post about my fancy oranda male with his big red zit,hence me not adding this. its a 48 x 12 x 20 inch tank, nitrate 10-15, nitrite 0, ammonia 0, ph 7.5, i do minimum 60-70% pwc once a week, fluval 4+ filter, 2 large airstones, a few live plants and a few fake ones, fish in there were 5 fancies, 3 large and 2 small, and 3 dojo loaches, now 2 large and 2 small and 3 dojo loaches. and yes i know its over stocked,im saving up for a bigger home for them, either a 5 foot plus sump or a 6foot. but theres no way i can afford that until probably start of next year. my 2 larger goldies are approx 4inch without tails, smaller ones are approx 2 inch without tails.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Malefic makes some good suggestions. I would definitely add roughage to their diet, something which can be accomplished a number of ways. Sheets of unsalted nori seaweed make a great treat for goldfish, and provide necessary plant material. You could also use blanched kale, collard green, or spinach leaves. Goldies enjoy plant matter greatly, and it should make up a good portion of their diet (this is especially important for fish that are prone to floating). Also, you don't mention what brand of food you are feeding, but regardless of choice, they should be high quality brands who's protein source is mainly fish or seafood based rather than filler grain. Generally, the higher up on the list an ingredient is, the more the food contains... I would feed your fish nothing but peas and shrimp (mysis, brine, or minced cocktail shrimp) for the next few days to see if you can't push the gasses out. Also, considering your stocking levels, I'd push the water changes to twice a week just to be on the safe side. If these things fail to permanently alleviate your fish's floating issues, it might be best to switch to a gel based food, which can either be made at home, or bought commercially. Either way, keep us updated on how your fish does. Best of luck!

meandthetanks

AC Members
Apr 15, 2008
they eat the live plants in the tank, the food they are on is tetrafin gold japan which says its specially for fancy goldfish. i like the parsley idea, going to give that a go tonight. and they get brine shrimp at least twice a week. she doesnt seem to be floating as much now, much more energetic, though she has started to hang head down from time to time, ever since i took her on shes been like it, its like her butts too light lol! thanks for the ideas so far,will keep you updated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store