Restarting a 10 gallon tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jglover

AC Members
Jun 13, 2008
Naperville, IL
I had a previous thread about a fish-in cycle on a 6 gallon Eclipse tank my son received (complete w/fish), from his grandparents. Well, we go through that fine, the tank finally did cycle, no fish losses, but this afternoon I heard water dripping and discovers it was coming from *under* the Eclipse tank. I mopped it up and noticed I could just see the water line below the black plastic at the top of the tank. I thought that was odd as we had just finished a PWC and I had filled the tank to just above that line.

So, I marked the outside of the tank and came back in about 30 minutes. Sure enough, the water had crept below my mark. There was some more water pooling behind the tank, coming out from underneath. Somehow, there was a slow leak in the bottom of this tank. The only thing I can figure is perhaps a hairline crack somewhere on the bottom. The tank has some molded "feet" on the bottom and my guess is one of these has a small fracture somewhere. I did not closely to see if this tank is injection molded but I'm guessing it probably is and this is some sort of manufacturing defect. Whatever the cause, the tank is slowly losing water and has been for some time, looking at the water marks on the desktop beneath the tank.

So, off to my locally Wallyworld to pick up a new glass 10 gallon tank and hood. We spent the afternoon setting up the tank with about an inch of new substrate below to which I added the bulk of the old substrate from the Eclipse tank on top. The decorations and plants were pulled from the old tank and rinse in the tank water. I treated the new water with Prime and filled the new tank, placing the old plants into the new tank. I also floated the bio-wheel from the Eclipse tank in the new one.

I added an unused Aqua-Tech 5-15 HOB filter and a pair of 10 watt CFB to the hood. The residents from the old tank spent about an hour swimming around in a bucket till their new and larger home was ready. Transferred the fish and all seems well. Hopefully, adding the old tank substrate and plants as well as the floating bio-wheel will jump start the cycle on this tank.

I know the Aqua-Tech filter is made by Marineland, and I've read about bio-wheel upgrade kits, so my thought is to find this kit and add the old bio-wheel to the new filter as well.

Frustrating though, to finally get through a cycle with fish on a tank only to have to repeat due to an emergency....the only upside is my son's fish now have about 70% more space in their new home!

John

Carla G

AC Members
Nov 17, 2007
NSW Australia
If you transferred all your filter material and all your gravel and decorations you should be fine. All your bacteria should have been transferred too.

Now you have a nice 6 gallon isolation tank! If you can find the crack just silicon it. Make sure you use 100% silicon, though. The stuff with the mould and mildew inhibitor will kill fish and remains toxic for a long time.

Draal5

AC Members
Apr 23, 2007
Call Marineland @1-800-322-1266, 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Eastern Time. They are great at costumer service and warranty claims don't try and fix it they will replace it and you will also be able to get the upgrade kit.

Here's there web site
http://www.marineland.com/Marineland.home

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
bwahahahaahhahaha *evil laugh*

welcome to having multiple tanks *evil grin*

just kidding. it is a good idea to send back the cracked tank to the manufacturer for a replacement. you may need a quarantine tank at some point and a spare tank is wonderful.

or you could just turn it into a beautiful planted tank with ornamental shrimp in it

i could go on for days

Ozymandias

Metaframe junky
Jun 4, 2008
NJ
Real Name
Roy
good to here that actually sounded painless compared to before. i would also second fixing it or talking to marineland about replacing it. extra tanks are always useful and you could use it for a hospital tank in the future.

(or shrimp, shrimp are really fun lol :) )

NeonJulie

Worlds' Worst Mafia Voter
Nov 13, 2006
Everett, WA
I bet you if you call customer service, they'll send you out a brand new tank, no questions asked and not required to send the other back. They were super with me, they replaced my Eclipse 12 when a bubble began forming, and then when my power supply on the hood/light cracked, replaced that as well. They are super with customer service. (I'm sure they only replace things once.) The guy even sent me that plastic cover that the little notches cracked off.

I'm relieved it was a slow leak... man a tank busting/leaking is one of my nightmares...

jglover

AC Members
Jun 13, 2008
Naperville, IL
They are great at costumer service and warranty claims don't try and fix it they will replace it and you will also be able to get the upgrade kit.
I spoke with the customer service staff at Marineland today and new Eclipse 6 is winging its way towards me as we speak, no hassles, just excellent customer service. However, the rep I spoke with said the upgrade kit for the bio-wheels was not made by Marineland, so I guess I need to hunt around a bit more.

John

jglover

AC Members
Jun 13, 2008
Naperville, IL
I bet you if you call customer service, they'll send you out a brand new tank, no questions asked and not required to send the other back. They were super with me, they replaced my Eclipse 12 when a ....

I'm relieved it was a slow leak... man a tank busting/leaking is one of my nightmares...

Yep, I'm glad there was no tank busting leaks either! LOL

Marineland did just that, a new tank, no questions asked and they do not want the old one back either.

So, since i will have a nice new tank, I'm leaning towards the idea of setting it up as a shrimp tank as that sounds interesting, while trying to seal up the old tank to use as a quarantine tank.

John

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
sounds terrific! shrimp are wonderful and entertaining to watch. there are several species that breed in freshwater and are colorful. petshrimp.com has great info on species and raising them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store