New to African Cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
As some of you may know, I recently got a free 55 gallon tank and stand, and while I was thinking of stocking choices, I wondered about African Cichlids. I researched about them for about a full day on this website and I know the basics. Such as they like alkaline hard water, they need caves or hiding places so they each have their own territory, they can't be kept with plants or else they will shred them up because they are vegetarians.

But I hardly know anything about the names of cichlids, I only know about yellow labs. Can the african cichlids in Petsmart that say Assorted Africans live together when they are adults? and if so, how many of them can live in a 55 gallon tank? If not, tell me the latin names of the types I can keep together peacefully. I would like to have an assortment of colorful cichlids, if possible.

Keep in mind that I have never kept any cichlid before so that is why I ask here before running out and buying them willy-nilly, I am willing to learn about them. This is also my first post in the Cichlid forum. :)

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
Start out here:
http://cichlid-forum.com/profiles/

There are alot of fish profiles on cichlidforum, just to give you a general idea of what is what.

Then check their library and cookie cutters, here's one for a 55 gallon:
http://cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_55g.php

I would either find a good lfs that has a better selection of africans than petco or petsmart or order them online, just to know for sure that you're getting what you're paying for and not a hybrid, you'll also have a larger and better selection online (or at a good lfs if you have one around).

P.S. you could keep hardier plants in the tank, java fern, vals, anubias etc.. Check out Coler's tank he has a nice greenery in his african.

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
Can the african cichlids in Petsmart that say Assorted Africans live together when they are adults? and if so, how many of them can live in a 55 gallon tank?
In most cases the assorted africans are mbuna's and are compatible with each other (to a certain degree, for example two fully matured male melanochromis auratus probably won't be compatible with each other).

I've seen non-mbuna's such as nimbochromis venustus and dimidiochromis compressiceps in these tanks as well (as small 1.5" juveniles). These max out at over 10" so it's always best to know what you're getting before hand.

In a 55gal, you could keep about 8-15 mbuna's.

...the types I can keep together peacefully.
Regarding the word "peacefully", be advised that many african cichild species are territorial and aggressive by nature. "Peaceful", in the context of a african rift lake set up, may equate to a tank where aggression is balanced and minimized.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
I would like to repeat exactly what Ib3ak & Kay-bee have said :)

Presuming you're ordering locally, the next thing to do would be to see what is available and check those out on the links above, and set up a thread on here to see what would be a nice mix...often a bit dissapointing to look through a few species, make plans, and then realise you can't lay your hands on something, which often means you have to change one or more of your other options.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
Thanks for the help everyone. I'll check with the LFS with what they have and I'll ask if they are compatible and how many can go in a 55 later today. And by peaceful, I mean that the aggression is balanced and reduced like kay-bee said. Good to know I can keep some plants with Africans. :)

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Its all about the balance.

Plants-wise you should be able to try Java Fern, Java Moss, Vallis, Onion Plant, Anubias...and some people do Amazon Swords as well. Plan your substrate if you are going for anything that needs rooting.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
I'll go with pool filter sand with eggcrate under it to spread out the weight of the rocks against the bottom of the glass. I have alot of smooth river rocks about the size of a grapefruit around here, I think I'll use them to build up my caves.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
I went to the LFS today and I wrote down the Latin names of a the kinds that looked like African Cichlids. They had Red empress, Yellow Labs, and Leopard Ctenopma. But the thing is, they had about 5 varieties of Cichlids in their "Assorted African Cichlid" tank, yet they only sold these 3 types individually. This really confuses me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store