Can I add another bottom dweller?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NickD

AC Members
May 2, 2008
Maryland, USA
I have an opportunity to pick up "albino bristle nose pleco $10, Clown pleco $5, and a couple of SAE's for $5" from someone on Craigslist. I don't want all of these; just want one.

My question is whether any of those would be compatible with my current fish in the 65g (see sig)? Please note that I currently have 8 kuhli loaches and cherry shrimp and live plants. I've also read that plecos are poop machines. Is that true of all plecos?

Which one of those fish, if any, would you recommend? Which one works best with what I have? My plan for this tank is to add a few more rainbows.

Last edited:

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Not all pleco's are poop machines, just the ones that eat algae and/or wood. On the other hand, both the BN and the clown pleco are smaller species, so they wouldn't make a huge mess in your tank. I'd be leery of the SAE's though, many fish are sold as those but relatively few actually are.

Squeakfish

Fight the current!
Jan 9, 2008
SoCal
Also, if you don't feed them well enough, SAEs can become more aggressive to larger-bodied fish - leaving those kiss marks.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
I'd also say go for te ABN.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store