Bizarre clownfish behavior. Thoughts?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BavarianBuilt

AC Members
Jul 2, 2008
Northern Virginia
To start I've just recently set up my tank. It is a 44 gallon FOWLR. I just recently added 35lbs of live rock which fully cured in about two weeks. After it cured I went to my LFS to buy my first fish. I ended up with a beautiful tomato clownfish. I also bought five red legged hermit crabs. I spend about an hour acclimating the clownfish and he's had some bizarre behavior since I've added him. He hangs out near my protein skimmer most of the day and sits on his side just about an inch below the surface of the water. He'll occasionally swim right side up but does spend alot of time on his side, right next to the skimmer. When my aquarium light comes on in the morning, he becomes very active. He'll swim all over the tank for a few hours and then return to his usually spot on the top by the protein skimmer. His color is great and he appears to be in good health. Is this usual behavior? Any ways to get him to make home in the live rock? My water params are near perfect. I've got my eye on a nice Racoon Butterfly that I'd like to buy next week and just want to be sure my tank is in good shape.

BToast

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
Orange County,CA
MY maroon does the same thing at the same time every day. He seems to be done for the day after about 2-3 hours of swimming. I tried changing up rockscape, with no luck. I would'nt stress to much, that just might be the place he's most at home for now. Good luck with yours! I'm convinced after 7 months, mine is just a little odd.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store