Few Questions about a Pacman Frog

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DeeSeven

AC Members
Feb 4, 2007
CT
I've had Mr. Sunshine (yes that is his name) for about 2 months now. I've done tons of research before hand and still currently reading up on the "lovely" frog. So I have a few questions that I can't seem to find an answer for....

1. What do I feed Mr. Frog and how often? I've been feeding him frozen fuzzys and med. pinkies about twice a week and he seems pretty content. He won't even blink at crickets of any size doesn't matter. I don't feed him live because I've heard stories of mice actually hurting the pet because he doesn't eat it right that minute.I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure he's an adult since the baby or young pics I've seen are much smaller then he is.

2. What exactly should I have in his set up? right now I have med/large rocks with about 2 inches of water in there so it just goes up to his nose alone with some plants. I heard not to have moss or anything that he might grab and swallow when striking for prey. Is this true? I'm confused by this because don't they sit under leaves/brush and wait for their prey? If I can't use moss what else do you suggest?

3. I've yet to feed him feeder fish because of the chance of getting sick from whatever the fish might be caring. Has anyone even heard of that as a problem? I'm curious cause well feeder fish 12 for a dollar versus buying bulk frozen mice that my family is getting kinda tired of seeing lol.

4. how do you know if your pacman is male or female? coloration?

thanks

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
Pacman frogs, AKA horned frogs, AKA Ceratophrys species, are cool pets, and their care is pretty simple.

1. Mice are OK as an occasional treat, but he really should have more lean inverts (crickets, moths, earthworms, etc.) in his diet. He may ignore them now, but that's because he's used to mice. Let him go without eating for a while and he'll soon decide crickets aren't so bad. Feed him enough to keep him plump but not obese; you'll just have to gauge it yourself. These frogs are always hungry, so just because he will eat doesn't mean he should. They are prone to unhealthy obesity in captivity.

Pinky and fuzzy mice cannot hurt the frog, but hoppers and older can. Adult Ceratophrys are bigger than your fist, if that helps.

2. The setup sounds fine. It's true that wild frogs probably frequently ingest bits of detritus while swallowing prey, but it's also true that few wild frogs make it to adulthood. It's best to avoid moss, bark chips, and fine gravel or sand with these voracious eaters. If you want to decorate the cage with these things, you will need to take the frog out to feed him; a tupperware tub is fine.

3. I wouldn't bother with feeder fish unless you happen to raise guppies- they're not very nutritious straight from the store and have potentially dangerous spines and sharp bones.

4. I'm not sure about that. There's a Pacman frog forum at kingsnake.com; you might want to browse through the threads there to see if that question has been answered.

katschamne

AC Members
Feb 3, 2008
Geneva, IL
1. You should only feed it mice only occansionly. We feed ours only a frozen hopper once a month. We put crickets in his cage and he picks them off one by one. When they happen to cross his path. We have also feed him earthworms. We've tried feeder fish but he didn't even eat them. We found them in the substrate not even nibbled on.

2. I use Eco Earth or Forest Bedding ( coconut fiber) for the substate. You can control the moisture level with coconut fiber, and it also lets them burry themselves. We have a lage water dish in the corner. At first we had moss, but found out they could have a problem injesting it so we took it out.

3. I answer that in 1

4. Kingsnakes has a lot of info on Pac-man frog in the forums section. Males have a beard of spots and are more voical. Females don't chirp.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store