Breeding kribensis cichlids in a community tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cohazard

AC Members
Apr 6, 2004
Visit site
Has anyone ever had a breeding pair of kribensis cichlids in a community aquarium?

I saw an awesome albino pair of kribensis that have paired up in the LFS tank, and I want to put them in my 120g planted aquarium, the foot print is 4'x2'.

Other inhabitants will be congo tetras, boesemans rainbows, and maayybe angelfish, still debating that one.

The tank has a lot of rock caves and some driftwood, and a lot of plants.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
LOL hello cohazard, long time no see ;)

No experience here with kribs but the general consensus is that they will do fine in a community setup during breeding time if given enough space. The congos and rainbows will be able to make it for sure and in a tank that size I wouldn't think you would run into any major problems with the angels.

Quite a nice stocking list I might add...gives me some ideas :)

cohazard

AC Members
Apr 6, 2004
Visit site
haha awesome thanks for all the help today J! I did some research, but I like the reassurance of my peers.

I had a 'pair' of kribs, more like a male and female, and the female killed the male and other fish when I had a 55g back in high school.

I'm going straight to the store after work, hopefully that pair is still there. ;)

Thank you for the compliment btw, I can't wait till the fish are out of QT :)

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
its possible they will spawn in a community but the fry will probably be eattin. i say go for it if you ever want to spawn them place them in there own 20 gallon

cohazard

AC Members
Apr 6, 2004
Visit site
Oh that sucks :(

I know congo's have some crazy teeth on them, but since kribs are known for being feirce parents I thought they could ward off the jumpy tetras.

I was worried about the angels more.

I have a 40g I'm keepign some rams in. Now that I know they only last a couple years, it'll eventually be my kribensis breeding tank I guess ;)

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Haha no problem :D

Fish find ways of getting at the fry, especially at night. In a heavily planted tank you might end up with some survivors but best bet would be to setup a breeding tank if you are serious about raising the fry.

edit: and be sure to add pics ;)

cohazard

AC Members
Apr 6, 2004
Visit site
Gah... I can't wait... 45 minutes to go!

Here's another question. The bonded male has a tear in hist ail fin. Looks healed that way, I could be wrong.

If I pick a different male and female, what are the chances they'll pair off? All the females in the tank are showing pink bellies.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Hmmm wish I could help you there on the selection...I haven't heard of needing groups for getting a pair so I would think they pair off easily. For the tail fin, I would just monitor it closely. If it hasn't healed the best thing is good water. :)

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Getting the already bonded pair was the best thing to do. Forced pairs work, but can later lead to death of one of the two fishes because they may not truly be compatible.

I've had good success with kribs keeping the fry alive in a community tank, and my tank is only 36" long. My main problem is that the kribs are such good parents the other fish were always hiding in one corner of the tank. In your larger tank, life should be much more peaceful.

Have fun!

Eric

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store