White worms

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

27emily27

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
I have worms all over the glass of my tank!! they are little white things about 2 to 5 millimetres crawling all over. im freaking out a little anyone know what they are and how to get rid of them???

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Probably planaria - google search for pics.

Tend to be an indication of excess nutrient/nitrates. Harmless in and of themselves (fish eat 'em) but visually unattractive, and you should test nitrates with a good liquid drop test kit and reduce if in excess of 40 with water change. You may be overfeeding.

Perhaps consider increase your maintenance - how often do you gravel vac & how much water do you change weekly ?

27emily27

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
oh ok, thanks Coler and ibr3ak.

over feeding doesnt surprise me my brother likes to feed them whenever im not home so ill lower feeding for a few das and waterchange a fair bit and see how it goes.
thanks heaps, i tohught it was like a parasite worm or something.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
No prob :)

Yeah sounds like they're probably getting a bit too much food - as much as they can eat in two minutes, skip a day every week or so.

Water changes, and cut out the excess food, should see you right.

Nitrate test still useful though :)

kylestlcards

AC Members
Jul 11, 2008
They also occur when there is a burst in population so if you cut your feeding you will soon starve them out and away they go good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store