DIY Minnow Trap

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
Not sure if this is a place for it, but here goes anyways.

We're planning to go fishing this weekend so I figured I'd make a minnow trap with crap I've got laying around the house.

Didn't have any metal rods I was originally planning to use for a frame so I used a 5gal square kitty litter bucket:

Cut off the top and bottom to use the middle portion as a frame:

Then cut out 4 openings on all 4 sides, 2 bigger ones to just use as a screen and 2 smaller for the traps:

Used sharp scissors to poke a bunch of holes along every opening:

Then cut out 4 pieces of vinyl screening for the top, bottom and 2 bigger openings. Also made 2 "pockets" out of a screening with 2 small holes on the ends for the smaller openings. Then I used a fishing line and a needle to saw all the vinyl screening to the frame itself, threading it through the holes I've poked out earlier (also applied a coat of black spray paint so it looks more uniform):

Then cut out a line on top screening and sawn in a zipper so it's easier to get the fish out, and put on the handle from a bucket so there's something to tie a rope to if needed, and this is how it looks when done:

This is probably useless to most, but I've had nothing better to do :). Will post an update after its been "field tested" :D

Reddog80p

Permanently Dechlor'd
Nov 18, 2006
BK the Ghetto DIYer...It actually looks pretty cool LMAO

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
Nice!

pavemike

AC Members
Feb 11, 2008
nicely done. what are you baiting the minnows with?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store