Need help with my 'Hang on' type filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jove

AC Members
Jul 16, 2008
HI guys im new here. Im a bit confused about my filter ->> AQUA ONE - H200 HANG-ON FILTER 200L/HR

Im not sure witch way to insert the filter pack. Its a bit hard to explain so if anyone has one of these can you please tell me does the cotton part go towards the tank?

In the picture i can see the cotton part and it IS facing towards the outlet (fish tank side) but i have seen another pic with the biological filter part on this side. also when it arrived in the package the bio part was onthe tank side. The instructions dont actually show.

Another thing im thinking is maby i have the bio side facing the tank to set it up and once the bio media has taken hold maby i swap it around??

Iv sent an email to the company who builds them hope for a reply soon.

Also another thing, I noticed that there is a large gap under the filter media that allows water to flow straight through unfiltered and back into the tank.

Iv contemplated blocking this off or adding a sponge there so that all the water is forced through the filter. Any advice would be great.

Heres my mockup of whats going on, the black arrows are the water flow. As you can see the water can flow under the filter and avoid being filtered. is this normal?

you can also see here my problem of witch way around the filter should go, should i have the mechanical filter closest to the tank or the bio filter?

Last edited:

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I don't have that kind but from your drawing the filter cartridge should go the othe way, mech before bio then tank.

It also seems to me that there should not be any bypass along the bottom. With some filters you have to push quite hard to get the cartridge all the way down. Maybe with it facing the right way it will be easier. And if the media is new it may need to compress a bit to fit. Good luck.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
I don't have that kind but from your drawing the filter cartridge should go the othe way, mech before bio then tank.

It also seems to me that there should not be any bypass along the bottom. With some filters you have to push quite hard to get the cartridge all the way down. Maybe with it facing the right way it will be easier. And if the media is new it may need to compress a bit to fit. Good luck.
:iagree:

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
...or 'Hang On Tank' (H.O.T)

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
I've rarely heard of them being called HOT filters (other than the Magnums), they're usually called HOB filters or simply power filters.

As for the cartridge, it should be the other way from the mockup. Generally speaking, mechanical comes first and biological comes last.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
:iagree:

it keeps and soild refuse from the water from messing with the biological media.

most HOB filters also have a small extra output next to the intake so the filter does not "overfilter" itself and spill water everywhere. it usually is only used after media becomes clogged and the water going in if flowing faster that water going out.

Jove

AC Members
Jul 16, 2008
it keeps and soild refuse from the water from messing with the biological media.

most HOB filters also have a small extra output next to the intake so the filter does not "overfilter" itself and spill water everywhere. it usually is only used after media becomes clogged and the water going in if flowing faster that water going out. __________________
Jon
Thanx very much for the help guys. Now with this information im assuming that the underneath part it to stop from overflows.

I have swapped my filter media around so it goes mechanical --> bio. And i think i will block off that hole and see how it goes anyway.

Last edited:

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
If any of us helped, you need to post pics of your tank. :D

Jove

AC Members
Jul 16, 2008
If any of us helped, you need to post pics of your tank. :D
OK the filter we wer talking about is for a community tank that is currently being set up but heres a different tank with my my baby oscar about 4 inches long-->

As for the filter i have modified it. I have blocked off the gap at the bottom and placed a bag of active carbon on the inlet side. I have also turned around the other filter media so that the bio filter is on the outlet side.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store