Does this sound like a good setup for a 10 gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lindz

AC Members
Jun 10, 2008
I have bought a 10 gallon for my Male Betta to go in, and I wanted to put some other fishies in there with him.

I was thinking of these:

Three Mollies, a couple of Danios (maybe two) a cleaner fish (not sure what I should get?) and a Knight Goby.

Would those go together and would that make the tank overstocked?

Thanks so much!

:)

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
Knight Goby= brackish I believe
Danios should be in a school and generally should not be in a 10. What about a nice school of something smaller? You don't need a cleaner fish, but you can get panda, black diamond, pygmy or dwarf cories for the bottom.

lindz

AC Members
Jun 10, 2008
Knight Goby= brackish I believe
Danios should be in a school and generally should not be in a 10. What about a nice school of something smaller? You don't need a cleaner fish, but you can get panda, black diamond, pygmy or dwarf cories for the bottom.
I knew the Knight Goby was brackish, but doesn't that mean that he can be in freshwater, too just fine?

How come I don't need a cleaner fish? Just cause the tank is so small?

Blue_Ram

German Blue Ram Addict
Jul 14, 2008
Oregon
When you do get the tank set up with a male betta and other fish be sure to watch out for aggression. Male bettas can be quite a bully in an aquarium. For a bottom feeder I say go with a couple of smaller cories or a couple otocinclus. Good Luck!

Blue Ram

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
because cleaner fish are not ness in any tank, and don't do anything that gravel vaccuming and water changes don't do. Even with the bottom feeders you need to gravel vacc.

I would ask in the brackish section. People like to put brackish fish in FW to make them "easier" to keep and the fish gets a shortened lifespan. I believe the Knight Goby is one of these fish. I'm not saying that there are no fish that can be put in both.

However, if you have sand as your substrate, Malaysian trumpet snails do make things easier and borrow, preventing the sand from compacting.

Blue_Ram

German Blue Ram Addict
Jul 14, 2008
Oregon
I knew the Knight Goby was brackish, but doesn't that mean that he can be in freshwater, too just fine?

How come I don't need a cleaner fish? Just cause the tank is so small?
I have read that some brackish water species have been kept quite happily in freshwater tanks. I dont know much about brackish water tanks though.

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
I agree with Schizo on all points. Plecos are not suitable for a 10 gallon, as they get far too large; in any case they do not replace the need for hand cleaning of the glass. Knight gobies are too big for a 10 gallon, whether it is brackish or not (there seems to be some disagreement on which they prefer), and are too aggressive for your other fish. Danios are too active for a 10 gallon and should be kept in large groups.

A betta is ideal for a 10 gallon, along with some small schoolers such as smaller tetras or livebearers and the little cories Schizo mentioned.

lindz

AC Members
Jun 10, 2008
I agree with Schizo on all points. Plecos are not suitable for a 10 gallon, as they get far too large; in any case they do not replace the need for hand cleaning of the glass. Knight gobies are too big for a 10 gallon, whether it is brackish or not (there seems to be some disagreement on which they prefer), and are too aggressive for your other fish. Danios are too active for a 10 gallon and should be kept in large groups.

A betta is ideal for a 10 gallon, along with some small schoolers such as smaller tetras or livebearers and the little cories Schizo mentioned.
But Knight Goby's are tiny. They're like...really tiny. At least they are in the fish store. They have this nano tank and the fish they keep in there is a Knight Goby along with a shrimp.
And I read that they are community fish so they can go with other fish alright.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store