Red tailed black shark, help.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Clownloach458

Three years, so litte posts
Nov 23, 2001
Beckley Wva
hi,
I have a rtbs. wich is now becoming more agressive with its age. there is 3"homes" in the tank. and he is trying to guard.. 2 of them, i dont understand why. he goes in one.. clears it out. why patrolling around his area.. he sees the other fishes at his "second home" he goes over there and fights them..and its just goes back and forth back and forth. Ive got a 55g tank that will be done cycling soon., im thinking if i put him in there.. a bigger tank like that would help him.

P.H 6.4
temp. 75*f
amonia level. Not tested.
nitrates. not tested

(oh yeah, both "homes" are at both ends of the fish tank)

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Some RTBS cannot be kept with other bottom-dwellers...yours is just one of them, I'd guess!

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
My full grown RTBS totally ignores all my bottom dweelers in my 60 gallon (4 petricola catfish, 5 loaches). The only fish the he/she goes after are my boesiman rainbow fish. He may once in a while try to go after my elephant nose, but the elephant nose just turns around and chases him in return. I actually think my elephant nose puts the RTBS in check.
The RTBS LOVES to go after the rainbow though!!!!

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
I'm thinking the larger tank would definitely be a good choice the RTBS. I've had mine in a 55 gal (aside from an infection episode) since the time I got him. When I had him in another tank, he did harass a couple bala's but when I put him back in his tank, and since there's no bala's, he's fine. Never did harass the bottom dwellers, but that could be another case of "individuality trait" among fishes.

Clownloach458

Three years, so litte posts
Nov 23, 2001
Beckley Wva
ok cool.. 55g should be cycled by end of this week-halfway next week.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
He should do well in the 55. I have one in my 55 and he is pretty mellow with exception to chasing my tetras and SAEs occasionally. They usually go after "schoolers" for some reason.

Captain Hook

Looking for ideas
Aug 21, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I had a RTBS in my 35 gallon community tank and had no problems with it whatsoever. I guess you may have an especially territorial fish or it is just aggressive in general.

The RTBS has since been replaced with an albino shark with all red fins and tail. It is even smaller and more timid than the RTBS but is a really cool fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store