New Tank - 150 Gallons - Fish Suggestions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

quacketj

AC Members
Feb 22, 2008
Hello all,

I recently bought a new 150 gallon tank (72x18) and I'm looking to stock it with my current fish and some new. (Obviously after I cycle the tank and have it well prepared for inhabitants.)

Currently my 29 gallon is stocked with three angel fish, one parrot cichlid, two clown loaches, and one pleco. The angels each have a body of 3 inches in diameter (not including fins) and the parrot cichlid is just as big if not bigger. My clown loaches are approximately 3-4 inches in length (head to tail), and the pleco is probably only 6 months old, but just as large as the other tank mates. These fish get along in their tank. There is some territorial bickering between the angels themselves and the parrot, but all in all they are compatible with each other and have been for over a year now.

In the new tank I am looking to add a few more clown loaches and some other species to add some variety. Some other possibly tank mates I have been considering have been bala sharks, passive/peaceful cichlids, and anything to add color/variety to the tank.

The clown loaches are probably some of my favorite fish, so getting a couple more of them is a must. I know these fish get very large as well, but I'm prepared with such a large tank.

I have read that bala sharks may not do well with angel fish, and then on the other hand I heard they do just fine. Does anyone have any insight here? Yes I know they get huge, but I've got 150 gallons to play with here, so a small shoal of these guys (no more than 6) should be just fine.

The types of cichlids I am looking for have to be of the lesser aggressive variety (more like community than cichlid). I am extremely interested in rams, along with the possibility of kribs, rainbows, keyholes and possibly firemouths. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments on possible cichlid tank mates?

Lastly, to add some variety I’m asking what you think might go well in such a tank. I expect it to be planted (not entirely, leaving some open space) with plenty of hiding spots (rock formations, deco, etc). Feel free to throw out anything you feel would complement my tank.

Thanks in advance,
Tim

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Remember that balas get to 18" so a group of 6 would fill that tank and may even get cramped as they are very active fish. I would not add them to the stock you already have. Definitely get a large shoal of tetras, diamonds or lemons would look nice.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
I'd personally skip the balas and you might want to consider Festivums along with the others that you listed. I got one instead of a Keyhole (which I couldn't find) and am thrilled with him. Definitely post pics when it's up and running, sounds like a great tank!

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul

sorrow503

AC Members
May 19, 2008
portland,or
i have the same fish in my 125 gallon.started with the fish i moved from my 55 gal.3 clown loaches,bala shark,black ghost knife,common pleco.i moved them because i knew they were going to out grow the 55 sooner than later.i ended up getting a parrot anyways,then got a vampire pleco.today i got an angel.im not going to add anymore.all these fish can become quite large in time,the reason i upgraded.i will keep the 55 for when the fish are full grown, i can take a few out of the125.ive had these fish since they were very small and now they are all 4 to 8 inches.i say add a few more and call it good unless you want to get rid of some in the future

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store