Poor corydoras :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Born4spd

AC Members
Dec 1, 2007
I must have bad luck with them, they lose their barbels really easily.

Could it be that i don't vacuum the tank enough?

I have plain ole brown gravel from petsmart. So i don't think that's the problem.

I want some more corydora, we just got a new shipment in at the store i work at and they are nice plump active little fellows :)

I really want to get good with cories so i can breed them.

Which species do you reccomend?

And whats the max # of cories i can keep in a 20H tank? (would i be able to keep more in a 20long?

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
First of all, what are your water paramaters? How long has the tank been set up? How small are the cories? I think the problem is your gravel, cories like sand better than gravel because it is easier on their snouts.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Cories prefer finer substrate than the typical gravel. Sand is good. The easiest starter cories would be those commonly seen at the chains. Peppereds, Aneus, Spotted, etc. A 20L would be better due to the longer footprint. Will anything else be in the tank? If not, you could do 10-12 of one of the above species IMO.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
First of all, what are your water paramaters? How long has the tank been set up? How small are the cories? I think the problem is your gravel, cories like sand better than gravel because it is easier on their snouts.
Very good questions.

Sarge_857

Iam the one under your bed. BOO
Mar 18, 2008
Saline, MI AKA craphole USA
my cories have been thru alot in the past, a mean jack dempsey, my new firemouth which is a pain in the rear, poor water conditions (due to my idiotic i dont need a test kit thoughts...) and none have ever lost a barbel. they just swim around the bottom lookin for snacks, and they now try to come to the surface for flakes, tho the firemouth keeps em away.

Born4spd

AC Members
Dec 1, 2007
Tank is cycled, been setup for about a year now.

I have a baby longear in the tank with the cories
Oh and BTW i stopped and looked at one of my cories and i thought one of its rear fins had fell off, but it just using them as hands and was holding 3-4 eggs!

As soon as it layed them on the gravel the longear ate them :/

Im about to buy my little brothers 20L and my friends 10 , then i plan on buying a 29 gallon starter kit from petsmart.

Im thinking about putting the longear in the 20L and putting a nice sized gourami in the 20H with 6-7 corydora aeunus.

The 10 gallon is full of guppies. lol

The 29 is probably going to be 6-7 spotted corydora and i have no clue what else.

Last edited:

Born4spd

AC Members
Dec 1, 2007
i feed em wardley shrimp pellets and Hikari sinking wafers and sometimes they get flake.

I saved some of the eggs!

i just saved 22 eggs! Anyone know how long until they hatch?

Icom

AC Members
Jan 2, 2008
Iowa
i feed em wardley shrimp pellets and Hikari sinking wafers and sometimes they get flake.

I saved some of the eggs!

i just saved 22 eggs! Anyone know how long until they hatch?

:headbang2: about7-10 days I think. I got one of the breeding nets that hang on the tank,and just put the eggs in that.I have around 15 babies swimming in there right now,and just put another dz eggs in yesterday.
I put a chunk of Java Moss in the net and the babies are always swimming around in it picking away at whatever;I drop a few flakes in and smash up a shrimp pellet every day for 'em.A couple are getting rather large,around 1/4" or so

tennesseemom

Shrimp Herder
Nov 16, 2007
Nashville, TN
blueinredstate.tumblr.com
You can good, cheap sand at Lowes or Home Depot, it's called "pool filter sand". Not the playsand, that is too fine, though lots of people use it. $5 for a 25lb bag or 50lbs, forgot how heavy the bag was. Easy to rinse and my corys are fine on it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store