Strange growth on live rock

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
I have just noticed something growing on my LR. It is very small (about 1/4 inch tall) and has a stalk connected to the live rock, with a head at the top. The head has many "arms" sticking out from it. It is purple. I am trying to post a pic, but I can't figure out my neighbor's stupid flash on his digicam. Every picture I take is nothing but flash reflecting off the glass.

Any thoughts on what this is? My first thought was Xenia. but I only have 60 watts of lighting over a 46 gallon tank. That isn't enough for Xenia, is it?

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Maybe a zoanthid. Here's some possibly useful advice for the photo. First, is there a macro setting on the camera, so you can get in close? Looks like a little flower on my Canon. Second, I prefer to use a tripod and no flash. The colors almost always look better. Third, if you use flash, try shooting at an angle, so that you don't get the reflection off the glass head-on.

Can't wait to see it.

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
I got one shot with no reflection, but the growth is so small that you really can't see it in the picture. I am going to try to borrow a camera with a zoom lens and see what I can do.

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
I still can't get a decent shot of what is growing in my tank, but I did find this picture of a hawaiian feather duster. The three tentacled objects in the top part of the picture look very much like the two growths on my live rock. What are they?

p_78296.jpg

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
Does Xenia sting?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store