Any body have a snowflake moray?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
If I get a second marine tank going I want a moray eel and it looks like my best option is a snowflake. They seem pretty tough. Anybody have one? How are they? Are they visible much or is it just a rock pile with a head sticking out? What tankmates do you have?

vteel

AC Members
Mar 17, 2007
Vermont
I have a Snowflake Eel that I've had for roughly 6-7 years and i adore him/her!! He/she is quite visible in my tank, especially when it's hungry it will emerge almost entirely from it's cave to look for food. I've never (knock on wood) had a problem with it, although it has jumped from my tank a couple of times. It's a beautiful eel, very hardy, and probably the easiest eel to keep. The only other fish I have in that tank with it is a Clark Clownfish, then I have tons of reef hermits, snails, Coral Banded Shrimp, Yellow Brittle Serpent Star, and many corals.
I highly recommend the Snowflake Eel, you will not be disappointed :)

emptywallet

another youngling who is clueless
Apr 19, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
David
i used to have a sf eel in my 75 gallon tank and his little cave was this big conch shell he would be sitting in his shell with his head poking out. he got to the size of 2 feet. he had a fire shrimp buddy who would clean him but one day eel got hungry and impatient and ate mr shrimp. so i reccomend no shrimps or crabs with one. mine had very bad eye sight and bite me a couple times but it didnt really hurt. he jumped out of the tanks a couple times so he might of gotten brain damage from that tho. they are cool fish but you better be prepared to take care of it because it can live for a very long time

AquariumFish

still playing with wet spots
I got a 2 foot snow flake with a 2 and a half foot Zebra eel and a baby Purcula clown, baby Naso Tang (Naz "T") and a red lip blenny ...

they - like most eels are hider's ... unless he's real hungry ... then Naz "T" is on the run ... ducking & dodging ...

vteel

AC Members
Mar 17, 2007
Vermont
Nope, my Coral Banded Shrimp actually cleans my eels mouth (Coral Banded Shrimp are cleaners and are known to clean parasites from fish) and the eel loves it!! I have a 75 gallon reef tank and a Seaclone Protein Skimmer. My eel is about 1 1/2 feet long and about 1 1/2 inches in diameter

zhonk

Crazy Ted
Nov 5, 2006
Northwest US
Eels are smart so it depends on the eel, some eels will be nice others will eaty anything that moves. Get an eel if you want, but it WILL be a risk.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store