Powder blue surgeons

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Elliott Wright

AC Members
Sep 14, 2003
Visit site
Hi,i am quite new to the marine side of fishkeeping and i was wondering if any of you can help me i am thinking of buying a powder blue surgeon for my tank this will be the only fish i want because this was the fish that turned me from tropicals to marines but i have recently been told that they are very difficult to keep is this true?i know they are parasite prone so i have bought a uv steriliser just in case any more advice about keeping this fish would be great ,finally would a regal tang be easier than a powder blue? many thanks

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Hey Elliot,
Welcome to AC! Yes, powder blues are very sensitive, and will need a lot of room. How big is your tank, how long has it been set up, and what equipment do you have running on it right now?

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
Powder blue tangs(surgeonfish), like all tangs, require pristine water quality and enough algae in the tank for them to graze constantly. Tangs are best introduced in matured marine tanks (six months old or more.) Oh, and you heard right about tangs being parasite prone. Tangs are afflicted by both white spot (Ich) and black spot diseases.

Elliott Wright

AC Members
Sep 14, 2003
Visit site
my aquarium is three foot long and has been set up 4 months,
its run on a red sea prizm protein skimmer a uv steriliser and two internal filters and lots of live rock but of course i would upgrade the tank and equipment as the fish grows, many thanks

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
Good, tangs need a lot of swimming space. Having been set up for 4 months should allow some decent algae growth, as well. Also, powder blue tangs are not afraid of the open ocean. On the reef, they will swim out into the ocean if they feel like it. A good strong current in your tank will help keep cyanobacteria (aka slime algae) growth at a minimum, and make the tang feel at home.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
Three feet is not near enough length for them. They require 6 feet long of an aquarium minimum. They will get VERY stressed in a 3 ft tank. Any surgeon needs a minimum of 4 feet but they are more aggressive in smaller tanks. Anyway sorry to say it but a PBT wouldn't work in your tank.

g. mcclean

AC Members
Mar 26, 2003
new jersey
Visit site
I have always been under the impression that 4 feet in length is the minimum for a tang. Being the only fish will not make a difference if he does not have the length to "stretch out". Just my opinion from what I have read here and on other forums.

Elliott Wright

AC Members
Sep 14, 2003
Visit site
would a regal tang be easier to keep than a powder blue surgeon if not what tang would you recommend for a beginner, im also going to buy a four foot tank after your advice
thanks alot

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
Just remember that MINIMUM is not IDEAL. I personally would never keep a tang in anything under a 6ft tank. I have a 4" Blue Hippo (Regal) Tang in my 209g which is 7 feet long and he paces it. A Regal will need a Minimum of 125 when adult. A Regal is easier to keep but they get much larger than a PBT. A PBT should be easy to keep if he is kept alone. Just keep a very well established tank, lots of O2, pristine water, and lots of algae growth. My goal someday is to have a 125g tank for just a Majestic Angel and a Powder Blue Tang, but that is a couple of years away. Anyway, hope this helps.

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
Yellow tangs are fairly easy to keep.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store