20 gallon question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Captain Hook

Looking for ideas
Aug 21, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I was thinking about setting up a 20 gallon planted aquarium. I have never owned cichlids before but am familiar with many other species. I am thinking about a carnivorous tank where I can feed small feeder fish as well as dried food and things. Is this possible with cichlids and a 20 gallon? Are there any that will stay small with nice colours? In general are cichlids hard to maintain? Thanks for helping out.

t_h_e_s_a_c_k

Roses are ugly, and so is your face
May 18, 2003
CANADA
Visit site
planted aquarium and cichlids sometimes dont go too well.... some like to dig them up and rip them apart... my advice to you is to ditch the plants and the 20 g..... get a 75g and get an oscar definatley dont plant that aquarium because the oscar will rip it to shreds... Oscars can get very agressive and will eat feeders. They have a unique personality. they require a fair amount of work but its worth it... you wont be disappointed.;)

Captain Hook

Looking for ideas
Aug 21, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Well, I'm not about to "ditch" the tank or the idea of live plants. I guess I will have to forget about cichlids for now. I would really like carnivorous fish into the 20 but if that is not possible I guess I will go with some platys or something. Oh well, thanks anyway.

Edit: One thing that I have noticed on these forums a lot is people are telling others to forget about their small tanks and jump to 100 gallons or something. Personally, I find this annoying and also frustrating. It seems to happen much more frequently than it should.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I know what you mean...we just all wish that we had one...or at least, I do. I don't think there's anything really carnivorous that you could put in a 20g planted unless you want to feed guppy fry to Jewel Cichlids, but I'd check with demon_surfer to make sure that makes sense for a 20 planted.

Cptn. Hook: People just love their big fish and want everyone to have one, but your point is noted. I will try to stay away from advocating bigger tanks unless that's left wide open and/or someone gets a fish that's ridiculously incorrect for their tank.

I do think, though, that you could put some Apistos or Rams in that tank if you want Cichlids, but wouldn't mind ditching the carnivore idea...

peifc

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
New York
www.peifc.com
I'll not suggest feeding any fish with feeders unless you raise the feeders your self.

However, if you are looking for cichlids, there are few that stay small and colorful. You can look into African cichlids. They are colorful. Some can be aggressive. Please check your tap water. African Cichlid needs higher ph.

Any of the SA or CA cichlids, there are few that stay small. Convict is small and aggressive. Female Convict is colorful. Single Firemouth (Meeki) can fit well in 20g tank. It is also a colorful fish. Laetacara sp. are small and pretty peaceful. Or you can look into Krib or Ram. They are also colorful, small, and can live with live plant.

Any other question, feel free to ask.

Hope this help somewhat.

t_h_e_s_a_c_k

Roses are ugly, and so is your face
May 18, 2003
CANADA
Visit site
sorry, if I 'annoyed' or 'frustrated' you, I always tell people to ditch whatever they have and get an oscar... I guess it satisfies me in some sick weird way... ill try and stop doing that.

PmAn2k3

Livin' Large
Jun 1, 2002
Tennesse, Bubba.
If you just want to chance it, and more than likely end up spending money on plants, I'd get a pair of convicts, Moderatley planted w/ cO2 and a sand substrate, and put a couple caves somewhere in the tank, and also Do not put any plants Behind or on the sides of the caves, they are guarnteed to be ripped and shreded

HTH!

Mystroe_TheMyst

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
australia
Visit site
I was thinking a pair of cons...because my 20G is 30" long and that is a descent moving space IMO.

But i've got a semi-planted 20gal. with

2 breeding kribs
2 blue rams
1 bristlenose
1 snail

Now i had 2 agassizi's and 1 extra bristlenose but my "carnivorous" kribensis ate them...well the bristlenose anyway'z. but it wasn't a gulp it was a tormented death. But how bout some africans.

Also another cloudy suggestion, Electric Yellows?

maybe if we knew your tank size..it would help these guys a little bit

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store