Damsel fish compatibility

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jake0110

Registered Member
Jul 20, 2008
Hi!

I kept 6 green chromies in the same tank for over a year. I just gave them away and want to diversify my tank.

I have found a lot of information about the compatibility of damsel fish within a given species, but not much between species.

Is it a good idea to keep several different species of damselfish in the same tank? If so, which ones would you recommend?

Thanks.
Jake

SpockthePuffer

AC Members
Jan 2, 2008
Pittsburgh
Damsels will attack each other and other kinds of fish too. Some people keep a few with other aggressive fish but imo they are a pain. I had a blue damsel that was completely evil and it took me hours to catch him after I realized he needed to go. The striped ones and the dominos are considered the most aggressive I believe.

Do you want to keep any other fish with the damsels? And are you talking about your 150g?

superlynx

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
San Francisco Peninsula
I have a 55g. I have a velvet and two blue and yellow damsel. The twins are ok, but velvet is getting worse and worse. We started to try to take him out yesterday, but didn't succeed. I will try again soon. He does get along with the other damsel ok. It is kind of fun to watch sometime, they chase each other, almost like a quick game of tag. Velvet is picking on everything and just getting to be a big terror. He even try to pick on my puffer. It is time to go for him. I will leave the blue and yellow twins be for now. I have read that velvet is usually not as aggressive than other damsel. I would hate to see the other really aggressive one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store