How i got my GIANT GOURAMI..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

piggy67

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
Battle Creek, Mich.
Real Name
Dion
This is a funny story,I hope every one enjoy's it..The misses and i were shopping for fish to stock in my 29gal aquarium one day.We bought some tetra's,and a few different gouramies,one a dwarf and the other was an opaline.A fter a few day's we noticed the opaline was continually picking on the dwarf.We were not to concerned but we kept watch.One morning we woke up to find the opaline had killed the dwarf.The dwarf being the one my wife picked out."That's it", said my wife,we are going to the lfs to get a fish that will beat up that opaline.So off to the lfs.She looked around for a while and finally settled on a beautiful blue gourami,"Will this beat up that mean old opaline".I was looking at a tank with some red devil's(oooooh red devil's)and didn't even look up,"yes dear that would be fine".Now there were about 10 little 2 inchers in the tank and my wife said"i want that one".I still don't know if the one she picked out was the one that the employee netted (still looking at the red devil's).So off we go back home with this little blue gourami. little did i know that fate had stepped in.We put him in the 29gal and sure enough he started to chase the opaline around,nothing major just once in awhile.A few weeks later we awoke to find the opaline floating(yes the blue had killed him).So a few weeks went by no drama in the 29,except the blue was eating every thing in sight.He started growing and growing,soon it was clear that something was not right with the blue gourami,he was just getting very big very fast for a blue gourami.I didn't think much about it.Ok,skip ahead a few months,now this blue gourami had out grown my 29 gal and still i didn't think much about it,i just thought i had a freak of nature.Well i went to my lfs and bought a 55 gal to put him in, along with the various other fish i had in the 29.Every thing was good,fish were happy,but my blue gourami just kept on eating and growing.Finally i start thinking "this blue has got to be some kind of world record",mind you he did look like a blue.Well that was enough.I started to research this blue gourami asking local fish stores and reading different threads on monster fish keepers,there had to be an answer on why this blue gourami was growing out of control.Well finally i took a picture of him to my lfs,they got out a book and WOW there he was,but not a blue as i was told when i bought him,he was a GIANT GOURAMI.Holy cow,i didn't even know what a giant gourami was or how big they got.He just kept growing and growing,i had to buy a 100gal.He is the most amazing fish,he watches every thing that goes on in the house and out the window,he even watches me mow the grass!!!!He has rapidly become the center piece of my living room and wouldn't have it any other way.A good friend once said "he is not just a fish but a presence"so very true.He shares his house with a flower horn,jack dempsey and a convict which he doesn't even seem to notice unless they start to chase each other,then he's quick to assert him self as the boss of the tank.Well that's my story,i hope you all enjoyed it.MORAL OF THE STORY,be careful what you buy,you might not get what you think; but then again you might get something even better,as i have.

019.JPG 020.JPG 011.JPG my tank's 037.JPG

luckydud13

Did you hear that?
Jun 20, 2008
Charlotte, NC
:headbang2:Holy Crap That is Huge! HAHAHAHAHAHA funn y story, thats why it pays to do your research, haha well now you hyave 3 tanks instead of your origanal 1 so thank the fish, for expanding your hobby! Bump, (cough) and if you ever (cough, cough,) want to get rid off the 55 (cough) I should be at the top of your list!:headbang2::drool:

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
wow.. he's amazing. looks like he wants you to upgrade again soon. soon, you'll have no room left in your living room for living..lol... he looks gorgeous so you must be doing a really good job on him.

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
Nice story, you should have it printed and post it up in all the lfs's you can find as a warning to all aquarium noobs.

How big is he now?

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Absolutly stunning story there Dion, and i hope that this can be an eye opener to others who purchase stock without know "exactly" what it is....

Its a beast, but, its a real beautifull beast....awsome centre piece to house...and well done for continually upgrading the tank as it grew..

pharasalia

Minion of Aquarius
Feb 9, 2007
Fort Myers, FL
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Melisa
HOLY GREAT GOURAMI, BATMAN!

That thing is HUGE!! The first two pics are great closeups but they don't do it justice - its when you see the whole tank and his size inside the tank that you realize how truly large it is.

Three Cheers to you for not dumping the fish and instead upgrading in order to keep him - he's definitely needing a bigger tank again already LOL.

piggy67

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
Battle Creek, Mich.
Real Name
Dion
thanks every one,I will get him a bigger house as soon as i can.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store