my planted tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Flower1982

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Jess
Here is a few pictures of my attempt at a planted tank. I'm sure I could use to learn more about planted tanks. But here it is.

Some info on the tank:

10 gallon tank
Whisper filter
heater
temp between 78 and 80 degrees
regular sized gravel

Plants include:
Java fern- I got quite a few baby java fern lol)
Java moss- it doesn't seem to be doing too well as of lately. i'd get more but the pet store hasn't gotten any in lately. The ornage bee shrimp likes to hide in it.)
Some kind of anubis- i seperated a baby from the mother plant already)
and a mystery plant

livestock in tank:
one male betta (named Charlie)
three otocinclus catfish
4 snails (there are also some hitchhiker snails)
two ghost shrimps and one orange bee shrimp

If you guys have any suggestions or advice I'd really appreciate it. Like I said this is my first planted tank. I'd like to change the tank some how. Maybe change the main decoration instead of the big rock. What do you guys think of my tank? The banana plant is in my goldfish tank. It didn't do well in the betta tank but has really done well in the goldfish tank for some reason. how big do banana plants get and it there a way to get another plant from it?

Here are some pictures:

10 gallon tank

Anubis

Baby Anubis

Java Fern

Baby Java Fern

Mystery Plant

Banana Plant

Charlie (the Betta) Sorry if the 2nd picture of Charlie looks odd. not sure why it looks so grainy looking. I had a hard time getting a good picture of him. He was swimming all over the place lol.

Flower1982

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Jess
How do you cover a peice of drift wood in moss? What kind of moss? Java moss? I don't seem to have much luck with java moss. right now it's turned a brownish color. There is still some green too it but most of it is brown. Does that mean it's dead? Should I take it out? Does my java fern on the peice of drift wook need trimming or does it look ok the way it is? Sorry for all the questions. I've had good luck with java fern and anubis plants. What other kinds of plant would you guys recommend for low lighting?

Flower1982

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Jess
How can I get java moss to grow good for me? I just don't seem to have much luck with it.

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
if that is a standard strip bulb I would get brighter light. nice start. moss works wonders on drift wood, but if yours turned brown, your lighting is not good. that stuff grows well in pooer lighting conditions.

Flower1982

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Jess
That's the odd thing about the java moss. I thought it did well in low light but my other plants are doing really well. Although maybe it died when my light on my ten gallon burned out and I didn't get the light relaced it for about 2 weeks or so. I plan on getting more java moss when I can get some.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
I have had some java moss randomly die off on me as well. I have noticed that when I move java moss from above the waterline to a submerged location, it often dies back(sometimes quite a bit) or simply "sits" for up to a few weeks before it starts growing again. I think it's like "crypt melt," something that often happens to the plant naturally and isn't really a big deal. People just think the plant is dying and toss it out(something of which I am guilty of!)...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store