Where can I find a freshwater sponge?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
I'd agree with Vamp. About the only filter feeders that are successfully kept in FW are shrimp. I'm sure it can be done and that some have been successful keeping them, but generally they slowly starve.

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
They can be fed, just as SW filter feeders are. The problem is that too many FW keepers think that filter feeders can be added to a tank and then forgotten.

Jove- Good luck!

KIM- Don't hold your breath. Australia's laws make it nearly impossible to export wildlife, so Jove's Ozzie sources will do you no good. There are freshwater sponges here in the US, but I haven't found any yet. They're really not much to look at, they're just brown blobs.

KIM_TMA

AC Members
Apr 2, 2008
Arkansas
They can be fed, just as SW filter feeders are. The problem is that too many FW keepers think that filter feeders can be added to a tank and then forgotten.

Jove- Good luck!

KIM- Don't hold your breath. Australia's laws make it nearly impossible to export wildlife, so Jove's Ozzie sources will do you no good. There are freshwater sponges here in the US, but I haven't found any yet. They're really not much to look at, they're just brown blobs.
Whether they are anything to look at or not it would just be neat to tell everybody " Hey I got a living fw sponge " nanananana. J/k:silly:

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
It would be cool, and I want one too. But they're still not much to look at. Now freshwater bryozoans- that's where it's at!

There's no reason you couldn't feed a sponge (or clams, etc.) with an eyedropper and food broth. It's just something that FW folks are generally not interested in doing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store