Help me convert planted to cichlid 220g!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

180gz71

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
I downsized my 220g planted. I need something a little less maintenance right now. I know I want some type of cichlid, but I still want it to look pretty good. I would also like some type of rockwork, but Im also trying to keep the cost down. Already have filters, more than sufficient lighting, and all the other standard equipment. I also have extremely hard well water if that makes a difference. Oh well, I would like some pics, ideas, and info on the harder water species. TIA

peace,
mark

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
This is my biased opinion (and because your water sounds to be perfect for this) :D go with either malawi or tangs, a nice size colony of frontosa would be sweet in a 220. You could also do a hap/peacock setup or a few different colonies of tropheus, or a crapload of mbuna :) with that tank size the possibilities are endless.

You could get cheap rock at landscaping yards or free rock around lakes or beaches :), the only costly thing with africans are fish themselves and overfiltering (if you don't have it already).

180gz71

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
I will research the sp. uv given me. I prefer the smaller fish look, and that way I can get more fish in there:drool:. And as for the rock, I was just under the impression that I needed special substrate and rockwork. I already use my landscape stores for the rock in my planted tanks. And filtration, I beleive Im covered-1-FX5 and XP4. Thanx for the help. Also the tank is still running with a few fish left to keep bacteria up.

Thanx for the infos keep it coming.

Peace,
mark

This is my biased opinion (and because your water sounds to be perfect for this) :D go with either malawi or tangs, a nice size colony of frontosa would be sweet in a 220. You could also do a hap/peacock setup or a few different colonies of tropheus, or a crapload of mbuna :) with that tank size the possibilities are endless.

You could get cheap rock at landscaping yards or free rock around lakes or beaches :), the only costly thing with africans are fish themselves and overfiltering (if you don't have it already).

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
OMG I could have so much fun with this setup!

There are just too many options...but first do you plan on malawis (mbuna? peacocks? haps?) or tanganyikans?

I prefer tangs :)D) but with so many options we need to narrow it down.

180gz71

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
I have no idea what type I want right now, but I know I would prefer a smallish species. I also want the rockwork to be darker. I am open to suggestions. Im just kinda lookin for something a little easier to maintain with a 220g.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store