humidity?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cichlid_guy

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
photos.yahoo.com
Hi, i have a question about humidity.
I just got my 300gal tank up and running.
it sets in our second bedroom.
we have the 300gal tank and out computer in this room.
(kind of like a dent)

anyway.

What is a "safe" humidity reading for a room?
I'm reading 55% right now.
is there a point i should worry about to much?
can i just crack a window to lower it or would i need
a dehumidifyer?

thanks!
scottie

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
I pretty much asked the same question a day ago almost. Just remember Lower the humidity= faster your tank water will evaporate. Higher the humidit=tank water evaporation will be slow.

I had my aquariums almost a year now. I never noticed and big problems with evaporation and hardly noticed between weekly water changes. Lately, though, in one week my 60 gallon was missing 1/2 inch of water!!! It was because the humidity was low at 15 percent. I bought a humidifier to increase the humidity (not just for my fish, for my dry itchy skin ).

The water should not evaporate as fast because Im putting in 2 gallons of water into the air daily through the humidifier. the evaporation should slow down.

If I were you, your fine. At 55 percent, there will be evaporation, but not as fast if it was drier. at 100 percent= no evaporation !!!

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Humidity does NOT increase tempature. It only makes it FEEL warmer. But im not sure what the increase of humidity will do to your electrical equipment.

DodgeIntrepidV6

AC Members
Oct 26, 2002
New Haven, CT
www.cardomain.com
humidity sucks, especially in football pads during summer sessions, ugh. Anyway since it's the winter now in CT I noctice my tank evaporate very quickly, which must be due to low humidity. Forget what it did in summer, guess I'll see how much it affects mine.

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Reason why it FEELS warmer is because in dry weathor there is no water in the air, so you can sweat easily cooling you. MORE humidity has more water which causes the evaporation of your sweat slower which makes you feel warmer.

Godslayer

Los Dios De Verde
Dec 25, 2001
Largo, Fl
yes...

As JBW says, it makes your bodies' cooling mechanism (sweating) less efficient.

Bob

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store