new to marine aquariums... looking for advice!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

clowngirl

Registered Member
Jul 24, 2008
Hey folks!

My boyfriend set up a salt water tank with 2 clownfish, 2 shrimp and some crabs... and then we broke up. So I need to take care of the tank now and I'm wondering how to do a partial water change! I think I might have to go buy a book on how to do all this stuff... making sure the ammonia, nitrate, nitrite etc levels are ok. My ex researched a lot before setting it all up and it's working well, but needs some TLC!

Any advice would be great!

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
Hello, :welcome: to AC.

Sorry i can't help with your questions (i'm not a salty), try posting your questions in the marine forums and they should get more response.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Howdy! Welcome to AC!

Ditto on what Krytan said. A post in the Marine area will get you some good responses.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Hey folks!

My boyfriend set up a salt water tank with 2 clownfish, 2 shrimp and some crabs... and then we broke up. So I need to take care of the tank now and I'm wondering how to do a partial water change! I think I might have to go buy a book on how to do all this stuff... making sure the ammonia, nitrate, nitrite etc levels are ok. My ex researched a lot before setting it all up and it's working well, but needs some TLC!

Any advice would be great!

Partial water changes consist of removing about 10% of the tank water, and replacing it with premade saltwater.

Premade saltwater can either be made or brought 24 hours previous, stored in a container with a heater and a powerhead so the water comes to the correct temp, same as the tank...Then Simply syphon out 10% from the tank and then pour in the new SW....water change done.

A good book to buy is the The Conscientious Marine Aquarist: A Commonsense Handbook for Successful Saltwater Hobbyists

We are all here to help you in any way we can, so, ask many questions, and it will all be good....

almo75

AC Members
Feb 6, 2008
Corn fields south of Chicago
Real Name
Al
Welcome to the site clowngirl, ask away in the marine section and we will do our best to help. This is a great group of very knowledgeable people here. I have learned a ton.

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
Hello...........:welcome:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC!