DIY Drop Checker - Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DGalt

AC Members
Jun 1, 2008
Connecticut
So I've decided to put one of these things together to see what Excel is actually doing in my tank.

My materials right now consist of 2 plastic centrifuge tubes, one 1.5in in diam and the other 0.5in in diam, and both about 5 inches long, and an extra mounting bracket from a visitherm heater (they sent me 3 of them because they forgot to put it in one of the heaters I bought :headbang2:). Here's a picture:

I figure that I will drill a hole in the cap of the larger tube, cut the smaller tube down in length, cut a hole in the cone end, and just insert. Seal with some type of marine safe sealant (is there something I could buy at a home depot or a lowes that would work?) and that's about it.

Is this going to work? I have access to all types of glassware / plastic whatnot (perks of working in research labs) so I can find other stuff if these won't be accurate / they're too big or something. I just grabbed these because they were the first things I saw and I knew the larger tube would fit snugly in the mounting bracket.

Also, about the solution that goes into the checker. I understand how to get the 4kh solution, but what about the pH indicator. Can I use the stuff I have in my API Master Kit? If so, I'm guessing I should use the acidic range solution instead of the high range solution...right? Also, how much of the pH solution is needed?

I think that's it for now. If I'm missing something please let me know

thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store