filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zoowks

AC Members
Oct 13, 2007
Orlando
if i have a 75 gal with 2 gsp and a columbian shark what should be the turnover rate for the filter i.e. how many times the 75 gal should the filter be going through an hour

MikenDanielle

AC Members
May 18, 2007
NB Canada
Not exactly sure, but I have a 33 with 1 gsp and a molly and with my aquatech 15 and aquaclear 70 I have average about 13 times/hour. seems to keep things nice and clean with no problems. Including my power head 30 my tank cycles 17 times in an hour. All fish are happy and healthy. hope this helps

brackishwannbe

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
Instead of another thread...

I've bought this one back to life. I've been reading and researching online that the filtration turnover rate for a brackish tank should be 6 to 8 times the tank size.

I'm starting a 72G brackish tank and was planning to use a Fluval 405 which has a turnover rate of 340 GPH for the pump and 225GPH for the filter. That's not even 5 times the amount of the tank for the pump and only 3 for the filter.

I'd like to know some opinions and what ratio others are using for brackish tanks.

steve18

AC Members
Aug 23, 2005
White Plains, NY
I think it depends upon how messy your fish are and how (over)stocked you are. I have 75g with both an Eheim Pro II 2026 and 2028. (I don't know the flow rates. The manufacturers will always overstate it.) My water is crystal clear. I bought a diatom (Tetra) but never felt the need to use it. And my fish are slobs. My 10" Columbian shark eats (and therefore poops) like a pig. My 5 monos aren't too bad. But when I had scats, they were pretty messy too.
I also hate maintenance, so I splurged on a lot of filter capacity. I alternate which canister i do a filter-pad change, every 6-months each. Sometimes I just change the top fine filter pad in 5 min without a whole breakdown.
BrackishWannabe:
I was also out of the hobby for a few years, and this site (and MonsterFishKeepers) has been a great help. Welcome back.
Oh, and I'm certain PufferPunk will correctly remind you that filters don't remove chemical polutants, so "control pollution through dilution", or something like that, with PWCs.

brackishwannbe

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
steve,

I plan to keep scats, so the tank is going to be messy. I think I found a new FX5 for dirt cheap. The turnover would be between 10-12 times, which should be more then enough.

thanks for the welcome back, and Yes, i know that pufferpunk is a BIG PWC freak....lol

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Oh, and I'm certain PufferPunk will correctly remind you that filters don't remove chemical polutants, so "control pollution through dilution", or something like that, with PWCs.
You betcha! ;) Weekly water changes are necessary in every tank.
On my 55g planted and 5 goldies I get 17 times turnover and on my 30g planted and 3 goldies
As far as GF, you'll need much larger tank for them. Adult ommon GF should have a minimum of 15g ea & do 90% weekly WC.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store