sick clown loach..need help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tazdevl77

AC Members
Sep 17, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
ok...question on whats up with my clown loach. I have a 15 gallon tank with 2 neon tetras, 1 black phantom tetra, and 2 clown loaches. The fish have been in the tank 3 days now and they are also the first fish to live in this tank. The ammonia is neutral, the PH is neutral, and the water temp is good. All the fish are doing great except for 1 clown loach. He/she is always getting into a corner than laying on it's side. It'll lay there for hours and you'll swear it's dead, but one little poke and it'll start swimming around like nothing is wrong. After several minutes of swimming around it'll go back into it's "playing dead" routine. The other clown loach hides in it's dark spot and does what normal loaches do. I have separated the "sick" loach from the rest of the tank. Basically so I can easily keep tabs on it and keep it moving around. Anyone know what's wrong with my loach? I need help!!!! Thanks.

Last edited:

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
This is perfectly normal behavior...most loaches lay on their side while resting...so no worries. You should, however, consider getting a larger tank for your clowns as they'll eventually outgrow that 15g. They can grow up to 8"-12" max if healthy and have plenty of "space."

tazdevl77

AC Members
Sep 17, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
Thanks for the help slappy...I wasn't sure because the one Clown loach never lays on it's side. He's always just chillin in his little hole upright and all. Then I have this other one who always seems dead and never hides out in the dark spots like I thought loaches always did. And the two loaches never hang out with eachother and i was under the impression that they were very social with eachother but shy to other types of fish. A 100+ tank is in the works for them once I get my own house...soon enough I hope. Thanks again.

tazdevl77

AC Members
Sep 17, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
one more thing i didn't mention. when it does swim around it swims like it's drunk. Sometime's it'll do a nose dive right into the gravel and just flop around. it always seems to be fighting the urge to roll to the side. like it's taking him an effort to stay upright. does this all still sound normal? He's still dark in color and all......I attached a photo of him "playing dead", see what u all think. Tim

clown.jpg

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Hmm...that does sound peculiar. It could possibly be any number of things. It could be a swim bladder problem or some internal infection or parasites. Has he just developed this behavior?..Did you notice anything strange about him at the fish store before you bought him? It could also be some kind of neurological disorder. Hard to really say without observing his actions for a few days.

tazdevl77

AC Members
Sep 17, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
they seemed fine when we got them. The thing was that originally the 2 clowns had reversed rolls. the one that is healthy now at first wasn't doing well and the other one was good. now the one that was healthy is all sick. I've had them for a little over three days now. In a nut shell the sick one spends 80% of his day playing dead and when he's not doing that he's swimming around drunk and ocasionally swims normal. Do you think i should bring it back to the pet store? I'm past the 24 hour warrenty but thats for if they die. Should i try to trade him in for another? Should i hold on to him and maybe keep him seperated from the rest of the tank and see what happens in the next couple of days? What do you think i should do??

tazdevl77

AC Members
Sep 17, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
Well thanks for the help slappy. unfortunetly the clown loach died last night so there's no need for further investigation. Maybe it was sick when i bought it or he just couldn't handle the move. tim

Doublette90

AC Members
Dec 19, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta, Canada
Sorry for the late reply... and sorry you lost your fish.
In your first post you said that your ammonia was neutral. I was just wondering if perhaps your tank wasn't cycled? Clown Loaches are quite sensitive fish and that may be why it didn't do so well.

As for the way they act...they don't call them "clowns" for nothing! We have 3 of them and they are living up to their name. They like to pile of top of each other when resting, and the little one likes to rest right next to, if not on top of, our pleco. :)

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Sorry your Clown didn't make it. I hope you don't get discouraged in finding a replacement for him. Good luck.

stoopid

AC Members
May 15, 2003
I lost one of my 3 loaches to the exact same "play dead" and "drunken swimming" disease. :(

It must be a parasite, it took mine in a matter of days (relatively fast death). Prior to this, the loach was 100% healthy. My other 2 are fine. I'm treating both my tanks with Aquarisol to be safe.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store