Hi folks -can anyone help a newcomer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

glennmarch

Registered Member
Jul 26, 2008
Leicestershire
Hi folks.

I'm Glenn living in Leicestershire UK and have just found this site.

I got a new Fluval 125 litre tank 7 weeks ago. I have a sand substrate with vaious live plants and wood decoration.

I have been using Hagen test kits and so far the levels have constantly recorded the following figures with no change

Ammonia 0.1
Nitrite 0.1
Nitrate 5.0
Phosphate 0.25
pH 7.6
dGH 13.44

I had gradually built up to 10 Neon Tetras, 6 Black Neons, 6 Platys, and 6 harlequins. They seemed to be OK until last week when the Platys started to die. Last weekend i did a water change and then noticed that one of the Neon Tetras had whitespot. I did put some treatment in for that as dictated on the bottle (Protozin). Since then i have lost all the neon tetras and am currently left with just 2 Platys, 4 Black Neons and 3 arlequins.
This afternoon one of the remaining harlequins seeme to be having difficulty swimming and has since completely dissapeared. I have taken out the wood to give me a better chance of find it - to no avail, but dont want to remove the plants if possible as they are just taking root nicely.

Can anyone give me any advice what to do? I dont really want a rotting dead fish in the tank if i can help it.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Hello, welcome to AC! I would recommend making a new post in the freshwater section of the forum. I am sure that you will get more help. In the mean time, i would recommend doing water changes as necessary to keep your ammonia and nitrite as low as possible until your cycle completes. Best of luck!

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
Hi Glenn,

You'll get more traffic and likely help if you repost this in one of the Freshwater Topics fora. :idea:

One thing I'd recommend is, if you can't find the corpse (may well have been eaten by now), start doing daily large water changes to bring the ammonia under control.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC!

Copy your post and start a thread in General Freswater Forum for more response.

You need to keep up the water changes until the ammonia and nitrites read less than .25 ppm. What is the ammonia reading on your tap? Do you use a dechlorinator?

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
:welcome: to AC! As the others said, post in the FW section for more help and water changes, water changes, water changes.

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
Hello..............:welcome:

country_boy454

Jeep Fanatic
Jul 5, 2008
MN
:welcome: to the forum!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com