breeding the EBJD

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
well i thought that since I'm going to start my EBJD breeding project i might as well make thread as to how you do this.

The EBJD (Electric Blue Jack Dempsey) isn't a easy cichlid to come by. they are some what weak and need lots of care and maintenance to keep them happy and healthy. thus the reason they cost so much in LFS.

Breeding

why im doing this. well there are a few reason for why i have chosen to do this one is because these cichlids are rare and aren't the best quality. they are weak and are in need of new blood so that the future EBJD can be strong and healthy. my over all goal is to create a strong strain of EBJD to introduce into the hobby we know and love.

How its done:
this is the hard part. there have been a few ways to produce EBJD, but so far the main way is to take a regular jack Dempsey and cross it with a EBJD giving you 100% blue gene genotype jacks, now these guys look just like regular jacks but carry the blue gene, needed to produce EBJD.
next you take a blue genotype jack and breed it with a ebjd.

{now i have something very important to say to any looking to try this at home, DO NOT INBREED THESE CICHLIDS this make s the already weak EBJD even weaker!!!!! we do not need this in the hobby.}

back on track you cross the EBJD with a Bg (blue genotype) giving you 50% EBJD and 50% Bg

to further demonstrate this process i have found a punnet square on bluejax.com for all of you

electric blue gene 'b' and the normal gene (which is dominant) 'B' then the male has the genotype 'bb' and the female has the genotype 'BB'.

If we put this into a Punnet square (below: male on the top row, female in the left left column) then the proportion of each offspring genotype can be seen to be 100% Bb.

you can view it here http://bluejax.co.uk/breeding.aspx

All the fry will be heterzygous for colouration (i.e. carrying one normal 'B' gene and one electric blue 'b' gene), meaning that they will look like normal JDs, but be carriers for the 'b' gene.

To get EBJD fry, a female from this first spawn must be reared to breeding age and then mated to an EBJD male (preferably not her father to avoid inbreeding problems).

This will produce the following offspring proportions:

view it here http://bluejax.co.uk/breeding.aspx

So 50% of the fry will be Bb and look like normal JDs but carry the 'b' gene for electric blue; and 50% will be bb i.e. EBJDs!

i hope this hekps all of you to understand EBJD breeding a little more

Last edited:

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
i also want to add that there is one known case of ebjd x ebjd breeding all the fry are extremely weak and die within a week,

there are a few breeders using females in the opposite way i had posted,

female ebjd x rg += blue genotype this process is being tested out by Ormed. a ebjd breeder

Tongue33

AC Members
Dec 4, 2006
That line lives within 50 miles of me. My friend Jackie has two male from there.. She is also investerd int his project.

Nice job man! Keep us updated on your progress..

So you have a couple male EBJD? As to not breed back the bg's to their parents?

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
yep i not about to just make these guys weaker....

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
yes. why? ill look for some old photos

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name