Rescue Goldie with swim bladder issue

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Agent_Scully

AC Oscar Club Member #1
Jul 9, 2008
Georgia
I got a new fancy goldfish yesterday for my grandparents pond since I don't have any more room for any permanent fish. Poor guy, he was jammed in a 15 gallon tank with at least 10 other 4 inch fancy goldfish. When I got home I planned to treat him for any issues he might have. He is having a lot of trouble swimming correctly and is headstanding and floating often. I woke up to him floating on his back this morning, which I had honestly expected. My plan of action is cooked peas and then fasting for several days. If this doesn't work, what should I do next? I don't want to stress him too bad but I want him to be well enough for the pond.

And yes I know that fancies aren't really suited for ponds but this particular pond is really great and if any issues come up, I can just buy him a large tank.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Well, I hate to tell you this Scully, but this is exactly why it's so important to plan before purchasing goldfish. Although you have a backup plan for the little fancy, ultimately he probably won't do well in a pond. If he's alone, he's at risk of being dinner for predators, and if there are other fish, he'll won't be able to compete for food. Beyond that, you brought home a sick fish, which is never a good idea. I commend you on the rescue, but you may end up spending a lot more money and effort on bringing him back than you wanted to.
That aside, we'll do all we can to help you get the poor little dude healthy again.
Your plan to feed him shelled peas is good, but since he was so cramped at the store, I would skip the fasting and feed him only peas continuously for a week. He's likely already been fasting for a while!
That should clear out his system and help purge him of any swallowed air. Be sure you cook the peas so he's not gulping at them on the surface.
If he doesn't improve after that, then we're looking at a much more serious problem. Surgery can correct swimbladder problems, and if there's a university nearby with a veterinary program, you could be in luck. You can try contacting the program director and ask if there are any students specializing in fish medicine that would be interested in operating on your fish. Sometimes they are willing to do the surgery at no or low cost.
The only other option would be to construct a harness for him, but in a pond that's definitely not a viable option.
Finally, you're looking at euthanasia if none of these are successful.

Best of luck, though, and keep us updated on how he does.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store