Altum attempt

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chunkylover817

AC Members
Mar 18, 2007
TeXaS
So ive decided that im going to try to get my altums to spawn, anyone got any pointers? or something i should try to avoid at ALL costs? I was heading for a tank design with lots of wood and caves with moss and bolbitis everywhere so there are tons of places to hide and the babies too(which is unlikely necessary for the babies...since i probably wont have any)but yeah, any help is greatly appreciated, i need all the help, like what some behaviors mean or anything, and who knows, if i get babies ill give some to the people who helped out!:)

:perv::grinyes: o and is there a difference between the red colors of an altum at the end or not?

Last edited:

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Best of luck to you! Rather than caves, etc. I'd suggest heavy tall plants. Other than that, live foods, and persistence. You'll be doing the fish and the hobby a favor if you are successful.

chunkylover817

AC Members
Mar 18, 2007
TeXaS
i know! its so cool if they do! but um, by tall plants you were talking about stems right or just big, like anubias big.fast response btw=)

i also forgot to mention that i was going to put vallisneria nana on the back, i already have all these plants,just need to let them grow out in my 55.

Hooked Newbie

May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Their shape gives an incling to their preferred environment. They like thick, tall plants just as Discus do.

Hooked Newbie

May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
They look good... the thicker the better I do believe. I've not bred Angels before so hopefully JM will chime in.

chunkylover817

AC Members
Mar 18, 2007
TeXaS
hey, i was wondering for a while now, does adding a powerhead be good for the fish? ive heard it works them out so they stay healthy or something like that?

Hooked Newbie

May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
hey, i was wondering for a while now, does adding a powerhead be good for the fish? ive heard it works them out so they stay healthy or something like that?
Powerheads provide current. Some fish will appreciate it, Angels won't.

faun

AC Members
Feb 25, 2008
Norwich, England
When my angels spawned they layed the eggs on a leaf of a really tall onion plant but some people put in slate for them to lay their eggs on as usually angels like flat surfaces for their eggs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store