Tatty Finned Tang!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Haz

Registered Member
Jan 14, 2003
Visit site
Hi all, hope you can help.

I keep a reef tank with 3 yellow tailed damsel fish, 2 humbug damsels, a regal tang and a yellow tang. It is a 90 (i think) gallon tank. Recently i have noticed the fins of my yellow tang getting particularly tatty, this appears to be a new problem. The fish was 2nd hand when i bought it and i've kept the tank for 3yrs. Could this just be the age of the fish, that a it gets older it is less able to fend off the other fish, the regal tang appears to be going for it, and it never did before! Or is there something that i can do to try and help the situation.

I manage the tank using regular water changes and organic filters, i'm reluctant to use chemicals in the tank. Not sure how relevant this is but i thought i should mention it.

Thanks in advance
Haz

tang.jpg

Guy W

AC Members
Apr 8, 2002
Naples, FL
90 gallons is pretty small for 2 large tangs. But I won't lecture you about that, i'm sure someone else will.

If the tangs are fighting the only thing you can do is get rid of one. or let them fight. I guess it's up to you.

I'd also look into nutrition. the tang in that picture looks pretty thing. I had a yellow tang for several months but I get rid of it because it was really aggressive. but my point is that my tang had great coloration and was very fat.

Make sure the tang is getting enough vegatible matter in its diet. Tangs like to graze all day long. Spirulina sheets are easy and cheap.

As for if someone is fighting with him, you don't have many options other than getting rid this fish or the aggressor.

Guy

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
I don't think it is aggression since the Yellow should be the aggressor. I believe it is HLLE (this is how the yellow tangs get it, they don't get the typical white pattern on their faces for some reason). HLLE (Head and Lateral Line Erosion) is caused by inadequete diet, poor water quality among others. What are you feeding him? I would definetly look into its nutrition and see if that is the problem. Anyway, hope this helps.

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
You say you have damsels in the tank? When I had a yellow tang, I also had a blue devel damsel that picked on him relentlessly, and tattered his fins like yours. They should heal provided that is the only cause. If the tang's diet is not adequate, or if there are water problems, then it could be causing the fin damage or causing it not to heal. Make sure your tang has enough algae to graze on throughout the day. Tangs need a constant supply of algae upon which to feed intermittantly during the day. They cannot go from one meal to the next like other fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store