"baffless" sump?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
After talking to someone about a picky leather coral I have, it was decided my nitrates were too high, and my current filtration system was the culprit..

So, I removed all the mechanical filtration from my canister filter, and put the LR rubble in my sump. I also removed my filter sponge from one of my powerheads. Here's my questions:

1: Sponges trap debris and become nitrate farms. What do I do about the filter on my skimmer and my return pump? I don't want to replace either due to failure.

2: Since placing my rubble in the sump, when I shut off the pump, the water level is now to the point of overflow in the sump. I just bought a 20L to replace my 10 gal. sump.. It was honestly too small, anyways.

The thing is, I don't want to go through getting more baffles cut and siliconing them in. I think I can create a wall of rock to act as a "natural baffle" on the in side, but I don't really know what to do on the return side. I don't want sand getting pulled into the pump; especially if I yank the sponge.

Any suggestions on configuring a "baffless" sump?

almo75

AC Members
Feb 6, 2008
Corn fields south of Chicago
Real Name
Al
I tried it and had no luck. I went with baffles that use EPDM seals and can be moved as needed. They are just pressure fit acrylic.
Any way you can put up pics so I can see what you are up against?

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
What would you like pics of? The new sump is not in place yet. I've had water mixing over night to compensate for the increased volume, and I've been brainstorming all day.

I was thinking about either placing the pump at a slight elevation, or inside an empty tupperware container to create a small barrier all the way around the pump.

Sound feasible?

I only have about 10 to 15 pounds of sand in the sump that will be transferred over, but I have probably an equvilent amount of rock rubble to move as well. I'm figuring the rock will keep the sand under control..

almo75

AC Members
Feb 6, 2008
Corn fields south of Chicago
Real Name
Al
I saw a different thread that had your skimmer in it so I don't need pics. You can ditch the sponge filter on it.
I think the tupperware idea is actually worth trying. Give it a try and let me know.
If you plan on using macro algae you may want to use a container taller than the water level and drill holes for water to get in while keeping the algae from getting sucked into the pump. I drilled so many holes in one of my barrier walls it got old quick!
If you want I can show you mine. I break for lunch in an hour or so and can take a pic. Those pressure fit baffles are a piece of cake to make, if you want to try it.
BTW... the slight elevation idea would make me nervous about evaporation causing it to run dry and burning up your pump.

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
Yeah, I think I'll go with the tupperware idea and give it a whirl..
I don't feel like making a 20 minute drive to get the weather stripping, unless walmart carries it, which I doubt.

I have a small amount of macro, but it's too hard to get around here! Basically, all I have in my sump is sand, rock, some small snails, a few small sponges and a bunch of happy little bugs. LOL

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
I just bought a perfectly sized plastic bin, so I'll try to get some holes drilled and get it all installed tonight.. I'll get pics once it works (if it works)

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
I'm stupid..
I can't get a 20L under the tank without emptying the tank..

So, I fail

My idea was good, though!

*grumbles*

7faces

Noob DIY'er
Mar 22, 2008
St.Louis
can you go in through the side?... ive seen some people take the wood panel off the side of the stand.. and go in with the sump through there...

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
No, I can't..
There's no paneling on the side; it's 3 vertical wood boards. Unfortunately, it's a well built stand!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store