Petco Find

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

eveliens

AC Members
Mar 5, 2005
NWA, USA
hubpages.com
I was in Petco the other day, just wandering while my friend shopped, and browsed the fish. I noticed an odd little guy in the jack dempsey tank. So I went and got the mandatory employee.

The guy tried to tell me that all the JDs in the tank were actually jaguar cichlids because they were "light." So of course, I corrected him, explaining most fish can change color when they're stressed. He was like, whatever.

So I asked to get the little oddball. Employee was annoyed I wanted THAT ONE. Then he was trying to tell me that it was good that I bought a "jag" because JDs were insane and got huge.

Turns out I got a juvie nicaraguense! :grinyes: I was going to go buy one at Petland. I just used all my luck for the rest of the year.

The only mystery is how the little guy landed in Petco in the first place. Lucky little guy too!

crashlee916

the crashmeister
Jul 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA
what kind of fish is that??

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
the kind i just traded for... ha nice
find..... i hate petco walmart and petsmart.... stupid employees don't know anything about fish

SuBXeRo

TaNkAsAuRaUs REX
Jul 22, 2008
NJ and AZ
the petco by me has some decent employees but i find most of the useful info that i learned has been on here and just surfing the web

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
the kind i just traded for... ha nice
find..... i hate petco walmart and petsmart.... stupid employees don't know anything about fish
This seems like an unfair generalization... granted many employees fit this description, but the petsmart by me has a couple of employees who really know their stuff, and get excited when they get to share that knowledge with others.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Very nice find! :D

eveliens

AC Members
Mar 5, 2005
NWA, USA
hubpages.com
I've only managed to get one decent pic because she hides when I come near the tank (I'd hide too if I came from petco):

Yes, doesn't look a thing like a JD or a jag.

The ironic thing? I work at a Petsmart. Believe me, most of the people who work at chains have no clue. Most of them also don't bother to argue with the customer but this guy just had to be right.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store