Dwarf Angelfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SuBXeRo

TaNkAsAuRaUs REX
Jul 22, 2008
NJ and AZ
Is there such a thing as a dwarf angelish? I mean i know they have them but they are different then the regular angelfish. I want just a smaller version of the regular angelfish.

I have a betta in my tank right now and if i get a large enough tank i was thinking of getting angelfish. Now i know that bettas and angelish seem to be not compatible, most likely because they are both semi-aggressive, but i dont know if this is because of size difference or territory issue, but this is one reason why i was looking for dwarf angels.

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
first off no theres no such thing.... certain types of angels are smaller but no dwarf angels. nest a betta is going to rip the angels long fins apart a really bad idea and i advise you not to do this

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
There are no "dwarf" FW angelfish. Pterophyllum altum,Pterophyllum leopoldi,and Pterophyllum scalare and the ones I believe that are most frequently sold. Someone else correct me if I am wrong.

As for mixing with bettas, it can be done. However it really depends on the size of the tank and the individual personalities of the fish. Most bettas do not mix well with fish with long, flowing fins so I would personally not try it unless you have a backup plan.

SuBXeRo

TaNkAsAuRaUs REX
Jul 22, 2008
NJ and AZ
i figured that there werent any dwarfs because i looked it up on the net and got no real hits, but, its always possible that i dont know something. I wont mix the angels cause of the fin nipping. Thanx guys

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
always glad to see some on e the listens to our advice

SuBXeRo

TaNkAsAuRaUs REX
Jul 22, 2008
NJ and AZ
haha, advice is there for a reason. Doing this wrong can have grave consequences, it's something one would be better off not testing :)

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
haha, advice is there for a reason. Doing this wrong can have grave consequences, it's something one would be better off not testing :)

and yet people still do... :wall: anyways good luck!!!!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
as you now know there are no dwarf angels.

that said..I have seen stunted
the smallest is the P.leopoldi it is the spunkiest of the three also and would probably rip a betta apart.

angels are cichlids and at times can be nasty especially conspecific(same species) mixing betta with angels has been done but generally not recommended.

wetwillyjoe69

Blarg?
Jun 17, 2008
Daegu, South Korea
i added my wife beta into my angeltank once to see how they would react, the beta ran for cover in terror as the angels chased him like he was dinner. exact opposite to what i was expecting

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store