Odd goldfish behavior

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Agent_Scully

AC Oscar Club Member #1
Jul 9, 2008
Georgia
My gorgeous rescue Ryukin has been having balancing trouble as a couple of you know. Her symptoms have been bubbly poop, a bit of headstading and bit of flipping, but she hasn't been partial to hanging at the top or the bottom. She has been quite plump, more on one side than the other. What I find odd is that fish with swim bladder problems usually get worse AFTER you feed them. I created a fish gel food to made with pea baby food and some acidophilus powder to aid in digestion. To my surprise the ryukin always improves right after I feed her, but as soon as she digests the food, her balance issues return.

It would be greatly appreciated if ANYONE could offer ANY advice to what the cause of this could be. The fish still has a good appetite and is pretty healthy looking. She was in this condition when I bought her.

PS.Could she simply be reabsorbing eggs. I heard that bubbly poop is a symptom of this. I'm hoping that even if this condition in chronic, that my goldie will still be able to live a happy life.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
She's probably not reabsorbing eggs. I think you mentioned that she's rather small. Fish aren't sexually mature until about two years old, by which time she would be much larger. Bubbles in the poop are sometimes a sign of egg reabsorption, but not always. As I said in your other thread, she probably has a genetic swimbladder disorder that needs surgery or a harness to correct. Since she seems to improve slightly after feeding, I would guess that she has a habit of swallowing air as well. Be sure you're feeding sinking food - I imagine the gel food sinks, so you're fine there - and that the tank is well aerated to prevent her gasping and swallowing air at the surface.

You may be looking at a parastic problem or a tumor. Both large worms in the intestine as well as tumors can cause the lumpy abdomen. I would find a friend with a microscope and do a scrape & scope, or take her in to a vet. Worms and tumors are both very hard to diagnose by symptoms alone.

Best of luck with her. As always, clean water and good food are excellent medications. :)

Agent_Scully

AC Oscar Club Member #1
Jul 9, 2008
Georgia
i have a microscope. What should I be looking for. BTW this isn't the small goldie. This is a new one about 4 inches long. and 3 inches deep.

Agent_Scully

AC Oscar Club Member #1
Jul 9, 2008
Georgia
Luckily, I found no living organisms or parasites on a mucus and gill scraping. I guess your right and it is just genetic. I suppose that the discolored operculum may be some weird color that popped up through the orange and black, kind of like a solid colored goldie with a single red spot. Her overall health is better than it was so I guess I'll just see how things go. Thanks so much for all your help!! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store