brackish to fowlr?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pussyfishhunter

AC Members
Jul 8, 2008
i have a 75 gal brackish and bought all my fish with the intention of swithching to marine slowly. anyways im at 1.012 sg a ph of 7.7. my question is do i need an ro/di filter for a fowlr tank?

anyone out there done this before?? if so how will my scats monos and gymnothorax tile eels mix with marine invertabrates?
pfh

brackeeper75

Slave To The Fishes!
Feb 23, 2008
Kissimmee, Florida
www.scotts-place.com
I had experimented with switching my monos and scats over to full marine changed to sand added live rock and everything. I added some hermits, about 20, and within 2 days they were all plucked from their shells and laying dead on the sand. I eventually decided to give the scats and monos away to a friend, and went to full marine fish. This is just my experience, but for me it didn't work. If I were you I would decide, do you want brackish, or marine fish, and either switch or don't. The fish were happy with the changes, however I was not. After a couple of months I ended up making the switch.

brackeeper75

Slave To The Fishes!
Feb 23, 2008
Kissimmee, Florida
www.scotts-place.com
The fish in question are born fresh, live their youth in brackish and eventually migrate to high brackish/marine as adults. It is very possible to keep them with marine fish.

As far as ro/di if you are going to switch to saltwater they are highly recommended, however most lfs sell ro/di water so you could just buy water from them. The filters are very expensive.

pussyfishhunter

AC Members
Jul 8, 2008
thanks for the advice brackeeper i had no luck finding info on bracs gone marine out there. so many sources recommend certain brack species to go full marine but i havent seen any info or even pics of scats in reefs.

and wayne its not that i wanted to mix bracks and marines it just seemed to make sense that if they move to marine in nature as they age i could mix them. but really i wanted the live rock filtration and cleaning crew more than triggers or clowns. maybe a coral of some sort

as for the ro/di water is it a good idea in a high end brack tank. my fish are healthy using treated water, can marine fish live in treated tap water? ( i have good quality tap water in my city)

thanks again

brackeeper75

Slave To The Fishes!
Feb 23, 2008
Kissimmee, Florida
www.scotts-place.com
you could technically add live rock/sand at 1.018 to aid your filtration, however that would not support coral or marine fish. 1.018 is high end brackish close enough for your adult brackish fish, and I personally would not go higher.

I have great tap water, have used it all along. No nitrates, no phosphates I treat my tap water and use that for brackish, however if you were going to go to "marine fish" I would highly suggest ro/di.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Monos & scats do belong in SW as adults. I had GSPs & eventuallly brought them up to SW. Then I added damselfish & a tomato clown. All went well, until I added some corals. Now I have a nice reef tank & my GSPs live in someone else's FO tank.

Curious though--why is your pH so low? BW pH should be around 8. What are you using for substrate?

pussyfishhunter

AC Members
Jul 8, 2008
i have five pounds of crushed coral. a few pounds of a blue sand my lfs gave me. and some gravel from another tank i used to start my cycle long ago. my tap water is 7.0 and stubborn. i dont have any driftwood which lowers ph. maybe i just need more cc?
been struggling to raise slowly.
any suggestions?

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Yes, the puffers were biting at the rocks, knocking corals over & chewing on a few. In addition, a 55g was way to small for all 3 of them (2 adult 6" GSPs & a 5" Ceylon) so they were all rehomed & it was made into a reef tank.

I would use CC for the entire substrate to get the pH up.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store